Superman and Lois

Originally published at: https://geektherapy.org/superman-and-lois/

Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed

Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More

#288: Josué and Lara discuss the premiere episode of Superman and Lois, and their son Jonathan’s social anxiety diagnosis.

Transcript

Josué Cardona 0:07
Welcome gt radio on the Geek Therapy network here at Geek Therapy. We believe that the best way to understand each other and ourselves is through the media we care about. My name is Josué Cardona. I’m joined by Lara Taylor.

Lara Taylor 0:18
Hey,

Josué Cardona 0:19
yo, let’s put our names up. Oh, there we go. Oh,

Lara Taylor 0:25
now people can tell the difference between Lara and Josué.

Josué Cardona 0:28
Yep. listeners. We’re broadcasting live on Twitch, which we do every week now. And I forget to mention every week. That’s why we have visual gags now. that don’t translate well

Lara Taylor 0:41
and then we forget.

Josué Cardona 0:43
Yeah,

Lara Taylor 0:43
yeah.

Josué Cardona 0:44
Yeah, at least we can see each other, which is good. And you can join us every Wednesday at around 8pm. Central. 7pm. Eastern 6pm. Pacific.

Lara Taylor 0:56
That’s very wrong. 7pm. Eastern.

Josué Cardona 1:01
That’s right now it’s 9pm. Eastern, 8pm, Central, and 6pm. Pacific. I get

Lara Taylor 1:11
somewhere in there. Usually we’re up and going by like the 20 of the hour. Sometimes we’re not

Josué Cardona 1:19
depends. Yeah. Yep. Okay. Link isn’t here this week. So that was a last minute thing. So we just switched up the topic that we were gonna do.

Lara Taylor 1:31
Okay, hey. Yeah, I wanted to talk about one thing. And then we’re like, Huh, Superman and Lois came out started airing. And you texted me right away? That I needed to watch it until I watched it. Yeah. And we figured since we both watch it, we should talk about it.

Josué Cardona 1:52
Yeah, yeah. I actually watched a second episode today. I’m

Lara Taylor 1:55
I haven’t watched that one yet. Yeah.

Josué Cardona 1:57
So but but I’ll bring up some stuff that I think is relevant, too. So yeah, so why do you want to talk about Superman Lois?

Lara Taylor 2:05
Cuz like, you texted me that in the first three minutes, they talked about social anxiety disorder, and name it as a character having it.

Josué Cardona 2:16
So first of all, this show is on The CW. Technically, it’s an arrowverse show.

Lara Taylor 2:25
We’ve seen the Superman and Lois before.

Josué Cardona 2:29
This does not feel like an arrowverse show to me. It is.

Lara Taylor 2:35
It looks cinematic. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 2:38
yeah, I don’t I don’t know. I don’t want to disparage the other shows,

Lara Taylor 2:42
because they’re very good too.

Josué Cardona 2:45
I remember thinking the same way about the flash as I am thinking about Superman now. in context, right thinking like, Wow, I can’t believe that a show like the flash is on television. Because these effects look really good and everything like so many things feel high quality. I don’t feel that way anymore about the CW in general. I haven’t felt that way about the CW in a long time. I think Marvel has a lot to do with that. But so do other shows

Lara Taylor 3:16
Marvel’s got the very bright and shiny world. But the high quality special effects.

Josué Cardona 3:23
Yeah, I mean, the only one that really did it. The only real Marvel TV show before like in humans

Lara Taylor 3:30
shield, shield and humans.

Josué Cardona 3:33
Yeah. And humans was cheap. Yes, yeah. True. True True. True Agent Carter to Yeah, but in humans felt cheap. Agent Carter felt, I’m gonna say middle of the road in terms of like, feeling expensive

Lara Taylor 3:51
TV budget, right

Josué Cardona 3:52
to budget and shield started cheap. And then

Lara Taylor 3:59
got better

Josué Cardona 4:00
looking very expensive. And it looking like MCU level. And of course, like wandavision is just like whoa, what is this this is this is another level and so other DC shows like Doom patrol and even Titans. Not so much Titans but like Doom patrol feels pricey, right? Like it feels like like a cost like it feels it feels like I don’t know how much you know, any of these shows costs over another. But this Superman and Lois is on another level. And just in general, right? Like there’s the same

Lara Taylor 4:32
felt like I was sitting down to watch a movie.

Josué Cardona 4:34
It feels like a movie even the aspect ratio is is shorter. So it feels more cinematic in that sense, but everything the colors the way it’s shot. And the effects are really really good. And I thought Oh, is this only the pilot? No, the second episode feels exactly the same. And I am so me surprised.

Lara Taylor 4:57
The laser eyes felt the same. I think as supergirls laser eyes I think but the but the after effect like the explosions and the all those things. Yeah a little different.

Josué Cardona 5:10
Yeah, there’s I don’t know there’s something. There’s a

Lara Taylor 5:13
giant ice cube look like a giant ice cube. I’m just saying

Josué Cardona 5:18
it. It looked really good. It looked really good. I can just imagine. Like Ruby Rose, or what’s the actress who plays Supergirl?

Josué Cardona 5:29
Melissa Benoist

Josué Cardona 5:31
Melissa Benoist like both of them being like, whoa, wait a minute. Why didn’t our shows look like this? Like I could have imagined Ruby Rose sticking around if?

Lara Taylor 5:38
ruby rose would’ve stayed if it was that good

Josué Cardona 5:41
that but there’s something so far it’s two episodes and and there’s no monster of the week. Like that is like this is I think we’re going to talk about the show more often because this is a family drama. And this is like there’s a reason why it’s called Superman and Lois. This is about they’re, It could have been called the super family, but that’s not as good of a title.

Lara Taylor 6:04
One thing that I loved about this show is this is a Clark Kent we haven’t gotten to see yet like in TV comics, you might have seen them. But seeing him with teenage sons. I think being a parent. I think that’s a whole other level. And I think they’re tapping into like, nerds who are parents right now.

Josué Cardona 6:27
No, that’s, that’s probably that’s a good point. So do you remember the Lois and Clark show?

Lara Taylor 6:32
Oh, I loved that. That was my Superman.

Josué Cardona 6:35
Yeah. So So

Lara Taylor 6:36
Dean Cain is my Superman.

Josué Cardona 6:38
Yeah. Wow. Wow. So when that show, at the end of that show, Lois is pregnant. And they had plans for them to have the baby but the show that like it was canceled. And so they never I don’t remember if the last episode they had the baby, but we never got to see them having a family. So when they announced that this new Superman show was going to pick up from the last time we saw Superman on the Supergirl show are on the crossovers which was Lois is pregnant we’re going to have the baby we’re going to go off to

Lara Taylor 7:12
they went to Argo city

Josué Cardona 7:14
Argo City oh okay. Yeah. And so they went and they’re like no, we’re gonna have a baby there boba. After that the world kind of I don’t remember where exactly. That happened in terms of the

Lara Taylor 7:25
it was right over the multi right before the multiverse crossover

Josué Cardona 7:30
Yeah. Was it before? Okay, so so then good. Because if it would have been after,

Lara Taylor 7:33
cuz then they all died?

Josué Cardona 7:36
Yes. But like the whole universe reset. Right. So that Yeah, they could get away with just telling whatever the story they wanted now, which is, which I love I mean, I think I think that’s a great idea. And, and so this, I did not expect it at all to pick up technically. 15-16 years after the last year saw them. Yeah, because the kids are full grown. So when I saw that trailer, I was like, What? And I remember seeing the actors that play the two sons and I was like, oh, I don’t know how I feel about this. Like choir.

Lara Taylor 8:10
They get having a blond haired son.

Josué Cardona 8:13
Yeah, that was like, we’ve seen so many different versions of super boy and Jonathan Kent. The son in the shows, I was like, Oh, what is? What is this? And the second episode, they confirmed that they’re twins. I don’t remember that for the first one.

Lara Taylor 8:27
They did. They’re twins.

Josué Cardona 8:28
Yeah. So they’re twins. And I am I love these. These these brothers. They are. It’s amazing. So yeah, so this show is about Superman, and Lois raising these teenagers. And in the first episode, the Superman is struggling with telling, being honest with his, with his sons about who he is. So he’s managed to go this long without them knowing.

Lara Taylor 8:57
He’s struggling with balancing being Superman and being a husband and a father too.

Josué Cardona 9:05
But it’s like it’s multiple things piled on because I think, you know that a father who’s not very present because of work or other responsibilities,

Lara Taylor 9:14
it’s a common experience. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 9:16
yeah, that’s relatable from all sides, right from as a spouse as a person doing it as the kids. All of that. And so as we’re learning all these things, right, like even even before they really go into details of that we learn that one of the sons that was recently diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, and so like that was just like, again, like you said, like three minutes in I texted you. I was like, we haven’t I haven’t seen a show in a while that just like, hit you with a disorder at the beginning and it’s Superman narrating it, there’s something there’s something about that character talking about it. And I don’t know how you feel about this, but the idea that he he says it It’s like, oh, like, this is just like, here are all the things that my family is dealing with at the moment. It wasn’t so much like, here are the things that we’re struggling with at the moment. I don’t know.

Lara Taylor 10:13
I’m dealing with like managing. Yeah, yeah. I don’t feel like it felt more positive than because you can deal with positive things, too.

Josué Cardona 10:23
Yeah, yeah. Yeah. But and that’s not that he was saying there was a positive thing. It’s just that he was just listening like, Hey, you haven’t seen me in a while or ever, right? We’ve never really seen this particular version of Superman in a personal way. And so we’re learning everything about him. He’s like, catching you up. And he’s like, here’s what’s going on. And like, these are the things exactly I’m dealing with right now. And it wasn’t like, my son was just diagnosed with social anxiety disorder. It wasn’t like a tragedy. It was just like, we’re a normal family. This is one of the other things that is happening to us that may be happening to you and to your family. So that was, that’s the way I saw it anyway.

Lara Taylor 11:03
Mm hmm. I agree. I think it’s ultimately like, Yeah, he’s Superman. He’s an alien. He’s got a whole bunch of things to deal with, on top of being a family guy. But it’s like a conversation I’ve been having with a lot of clients now, like we are dealing with global pandemic, climate change all of that big picture things. But personally, we’re also dealing with things every day human things. Unemployment.

Josué Cardona 11:34
Yeah.

Lara Taylor 11:36
Struggling with family well, dealing with having family members with mental illness and or, just absent parenting or whatever it is like, yeah, yeah. It’s it’s a relatable experience. Definitely. Definitely. Struggling with telling your what, when to tell your kids something that’s really difficult.

Josué Cardona 12:01
disagreeing with your spouse about whether you should do it or not. And when? Yeah,

Lara Taylor 12:07
yeah. Yeah. Such a good show. One thing, when Nina and I were watching, she was like, they’re totally setting up this kid with social anxiety disorder to be the villain. And I was like, but that was at the beginning of it. And then by the end, I was like, I’m not so sure.

Josué Cardona 12:25
I never thought that. I

Lara Taylor 12:27
just because he was, he was harder. And we’ve seen this in other parenting shows, I think this is us covers us a lot like one child being, quote, unquote, easier to deal with, or harder to deal with the other than being harder to deal with. And the pressure that that kids can feel around that. And I think you see it very clearly, like Clark does not relate very well, until the end of the episode. He doesn’t relate very well to Jordan.

Josué Cardona 12:58
Yeah, yeah. There’s Again, only two episodes in. I feel like

Lara Taylor 13:05
I know, you have a little more context than I do.

Josué Cardona 13:07
But but it’s consistent. I mean, so far, it’s been consistent to the first episode, in that there’s something about the way the entire show feels, it doesn’t feel like a CW show. Because if I feel like a CW show would go that direction. Usually, right. It’s like, it’s kind of obvious, right there. There aren’t many surprises in a CW show. Like they seem they don’t seem too super complicated, right. Like they telegraph things. from a mile away. It’s just nothing. It’s just, it’s just the type of show that it is. This doesn’t feel that way. It’s possible that that happened. There are a lot of things that could happen on the show that I hope that they never happen. I don’t want to see that happen. I would, I would. I don’t know how you do a monster of the week. On a show like this that looks like this.

Lara Taylor 13:59
I think it’s got an overarching plot. Like this is a this is very clearly like something there’s there’s some thing going on, right? We’ve already been introduced to like, the big bad. Yeah. of the series.

Josué Cardona 14:16
Yeah. And yeah. Yeah, there’s some episodes of, but again, I’m not gonna I don’t want to disparage some of the other shows. They’re just Anyway, I’m concerned because it’s still on The CW. But I don’t know if you saw the news, but it’s already been renewed for season two. Yep. The day that the second episode came out, I think that’s a good sign. People seem to like it. I think it was time for the shows for like the CW shows to like, do something a little different. And again, this feels good. But yeah, so I mean, you want to talk about this particular show, what other things are what did you want to focus on? What else did you want to talk about?

Lara Taylor 15:01
Well, I liked the the representation of somebody and they mentioned it like, it’s part of the story, social anxiety disorder. I hope the writers are paying attention to people that actually have social anxiety disorder. Yeah. And getting input from professionals too. But, um, so far, I like that. I like that. It’s about the family and that it’s like about the club. I feel like even though it is Superman and Lois, I am hoping that it’s a focus on Clark Kent and having to be a dad and a family man.

Josué Cardona 15:38
This Okay, so this is this is a good that’s that’s a good question. To bring up. Because there’s Um, there’s a there’s a scene in the second episode where Lois says, Clark, you focus on your Superman thing? I’ll focus on my Lois Lane thing. Right, like you focus on being Superman. I’ll focus on being Lois Lane. And I think that’s Batman and Superman like Who is it? Or is it really Clark Kent? Or Superman? Or you Batman or you? Bruce Wayne?

Lara Taylor 16:12
that’s ultimate question and you can talk about DC and Marvel and how Marvel characters are usually their personal selves first, and the hero second. And DC characters typically are the hero first and their personal selves second, as far as

Josué Cardona 16:28
Really?

Lara Taylor 16:29
Yeah. I’ve had this conversation with with Nina a few times, because she worked in the comic industry and paid a lot of attention to comics. And I think that is you’re more likely to hear someone referred to as their real name not their made up names as Peter Parker would say. In in Marvel, but there it’s usually that way first, Batman is Batman. Bruce Wayne is the

Josué Cardona 17:00
he’s the mask

Lara Taylor 17:01
He’s the mask. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 17:03
yeah. I think that’s like solidified in terms of Batman. But with Superman. I always felt that was the other way around, where he’s like, no, like, I’m Clark first. And like, the mask is Superman.

Lara Taylor 17:13
Then he’s always dropping everything except in the, in this episode in the show so far, like, first episode. She lois is like this family needs you. You can’t go and he’s like, yeah, you’re right.

Josué Cardona 17:26
Yeah.

Lara Taylor 17:28
But I think he’s always trying to run off and save everybody. Right?

Josué Cardona 17:36
Yeah, there’s a lot of things in this first episode. So I mean, they’re like Superman themes. But like you said, like the current run of the comics, has this more of the family dynamic, right? Where where Jonathan is like, like a middle schooler, right? He’s think he’s like a little older than Damien. And they’re living in Metropolis. I’m pretty sure. And actually, I mean, in the comic books right now, actually, I don’t know if right now is accurate. The last time I checked in with Superman comics, it was post the, what’s it called? Post rebirth, no rebirth. Now, what was the big event? That um,

Lara Taylor 18:20
there was rebirth and then

Josué Cardona 18:24
rebirth, right?

Lara Taylor 18:24
It was rebirth now we’re at future state.

Josué Cardona 18:27
Right? Right. Right. So So post rebirth, we things changed a lot. And there was a lot of retconning involved. And one of the things that happened was that the Superman that we met in the new 52

Lara Taylor 18:47
Yes,

Josué Cardona 18:48
discovers that Ace that Superman from the previous version of the multiverse survived with his wife and his son. And so Superman from the old, you know, pre new 52 era, and, and that Lois and the kid have been living on earth for the entire time, that this new Superman has been around, but since they know that the universe got rebooted, they kind of stayed back. And actually, this is discovered after the Superman from the new 52 dies saving the world. And so he Superman from the previous universe feels the responsibility to take up the mantle again, and to become Superman, but he hasn’t been Superman for years because he’s, he’s just raising his family. And we don’t get to see a lot of that we’re like we get this kind of like at some point, he picks up keeps going. He that’s as far as I haven’t read a superman in a while. But I think that’s kind of where things were. The last time I checked, so so you right, we don’t get to see the story a lot. I’m really excited that we do get to see it because the dynamics that are here are so different. And again, it’s like the same thing we were seeing with the Spider Man movies or anything, we’ve seen that story, we don’t need to see this origin story. Again, we don’t see all these other things, we get to see a new version. So one of the things that that you just brought up is, oh, like, how does he balance being a father and being and being Superman? The dad was in a meeting and someone referred to themselves as a single child as a childless adult. Right? And it’s like, oh, yeah, no, that person’s life is completely different than a parent’s life. Right? Like, you can pick up and do things. And there’s just, there’s just different things to consider, right? Like, once you have kids, things are different. And so it seems like Clark did not do a good job.

Lara Taylor 21:07
Yeah. And we don’t give me the like, first 14 ish years of him trying to parent and yeah. And it seems like in some ways, he’s been there for one son more than the other.

Josué Cardona 21:23
Or at least relates to one more than the other. Right. Right.

Lara Taylor 21:25
So that when he’s there, he’s more present. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 21:30
yeah. There’s there are those comments, right, like, I don’t know how to connect to jordan, with jordan, right, like I connect with, with Jonathan more. And the whole

Lara Taylor 21:39
point of like, he missed therapy, like Clark misses going to Jordan therapy. And I love that they have addressed this like he’s in therapy. Yeah, yeah. Also see how we feel about his therapist.

Josué Cardona 21:53
also taking medication. Right. They mentioned medication. Yeah. wonder if we’ll meet the therapist. Yeah, well,

Lara Taylor 21:59
but here’s the other thing, they just supposedly what they’re they’re going to be moving to Smallville. Smallville is probably small enough that there’s only one therapist, he’s gonna have to change therapists.

Josué Cardona 22:13
It’s probably Lana, because he’s got a crush on Lana’s daughter,

Lara Taylor 22:17
but Lana’s a real estate agent or whatever. Bank worker not a therapist,

Josué Cardona 22:22
she might also be the therapist. You don’t know

Lara Taylor 22:24
you never know. It’s a small town. It’s a small town in once upon a time. There was one therapist for everybody there.

Josué Cardona 22:33
That happened.

Lara Taylor 22:33
I don’t think he did anything else.

Josué Cardona 22:35
That’s a real thing, though. That happens. That happens a lot. too. Even even just that family transition piece of it. So I mean, that’s something on the second episode, they’re they’re dealing with it too. Like, and actually I love the way they deal with it because it comes up that they clearly talk about this and how it’s affecting them. It’s that Jonathan and Lois gave up a lot to be able to make this move. Like Jonathan was like popular it’s cool. He was a quarterback for the team. He has a girlfriend

Lara Taylor 23:12
starting quarterback freshman year,

Josué Cardona 23:13
freshman year his girlfriend he has a girlfriend, right like all these things are like gave them up and then Lois they she works at the daily planet rally she she lives in the city like there’s your job is easier from there. So they do talk about how it’s a it’s a sacrifice for them and how different members of the family are feeling different about this. I get the more we talked about the show, the more it sounds like just a family drama, right? It’s like a drama. It’s like

Lara Taylor 23:41
it’s this is us with superpowers.

Josué Cardona 23:43
This is this is us is getting more and more is adding more and more fantasy elements as it goes on. I wouldn’t be surprised if jack comes back to life at some point as a clone or something. I think this is us as moving in a direction like that, to be honest. But I

Lara Taylor 24:03
I mean, he was on heroes, right?

Josué Cardona 24:08
I wouldn’t Yeah. I mean, I wouldn’t put it past them at this point.

Lara Taylor 24:11
It’s a it’s a Heroes we find out that the heroes spin off.

Josué Cardona 24:13
Yeah, yeah. So I hope that the show continues. That the two episode trend of that there isn’t really a a monster of the week. You’re right that there’s a big bad I’m not gonna ruin what the revelation is of that in the second episode. But everything so far feels very personal. I don’t. I was thinking about Ruby Rose earlier today. Because

Lara Taylor 24:43
I think about rose rose all the time.

Josué Cardona 24:47
Yeah. I was thinking specifically about the fact that she she seems to have left the show. Wonder batwoman also in the arrowverse on CW be Because of the physical requirements, right, it was like it was just like physically demanding. There were fight scenes and stunts and all these things that were happening

Lara Taylor 25:08
and she’s to doing that. But on a short term basis

Josué Cardona 25:12
for a movie, right? Yeah, in a burst and not just like every week over and over again, it was like, and I get it. And so the CW shows are all full of fights and choreograph scenes and stunts and things like that. two episodes in and like the pilot is like a two hour episodes, right? It’s like three episodes, three hours into Superman and Lois. And there is there isn’t. I can just imagine the results of your Ruby Rose. I was like, Why can I get a drama? Right? Like, why can I just get like a drama without me having to, you know, do all this

Lara Taylor 25:47
flips and

Josué Cardona 25:48
constantly Yeah, yeah. Which I think

Lara Taylor 25:51
grappling guns and punching and

Josué Cardona 25:54
yeah, constantly

Lara Taylor 25:55
explosions. And yeah,

Josué Cardona 25:57
yeah. So I, I think it’s, I think, I think this is gonna work. I think it were, you know, if they continue with this, I think it’s gonna work really well. Because if you have, you know, if you’re just telling a drama story with this component of it, which is, you know, you’re just switching some elements out for some sci fi and superhero stuff. I think it works. I think it works really, really well. Even just the drama of having the two sons at this point. Like, not First of all, not knowing who their father is. Right? And,

Lara Taylor 26:38
oh, there’s the how Jonathan’s line was? Or was it? No, as Jordan said it just like the you can’t be your’re not, Superman. We know, we’ve seen him before. And I’m like, if you’ve ever seen your dog without your glasses, yeah. Have you ever? I’m like, they’ve never seen him come out of the shower. Because he wears glasses in the shower.

Josué Cardona 27:01
Okay, so, so Okay, I’ll engage on this. Did not they did not address this in a in a in any way, really. But there are versions of the comics that talk about there being like some there’s something on the glasses, right, that like creates like a perception filter kind of thing. There’s like,

Lara Taylor 27:24
they’ve never gone into the bed when they had a nightmare. And he wasn’t wearing a glasses

Josué Cardona 27:29
like no, no see, see, So I think they didn’t touch on anything like that, like that. The glasses like have an effect, right? Like, there’s, again, there’s versions of the comics that say something like that, like the glasses have, like some kind of psychic effect, and perception filter. But I always like the other version of it, where it’s like, you, you don’t believe you? Your own beliefs, right? Your own understanding, don’t let you believe it. Like even if even if you ever considered it. There’s enough information there for you not to think that it’s true. So right there like no, my father is clumsy. And he’s like, corny, right. He’s like, like, there’s nothing about my father. That seems like Superman. And I’ve always loved that idea that it’s not that he acts like completely different people, in many ways. You know, that even if you thought they look the same, but you could, there’s no way that your brain doesn’t allow you to leave it to even get to that point.

Lara Taylor 28:32
So all he at first all he had to do is take off his glasses

Josué Cardona 28:35
but I don’t think that’s true. I don’t think that’s true. I think that he took off his glasses, and they were still like, Yeah, no, like, we’ve seen you without your glasses. We didn’t get a we.

Lara Taylor 28:45
I don’t think if you look at their faces after it was kind of like, Huh, and then he goes into the,

Josué Cardona 28:51
but I don’t think it’s the glasses. I think it’s it’s like it’s it’s Clark transforming. right, it’s his his demeanor, the whole thing

Lara Taylor 29:00
they’ve done the whole thing with the Super Girl thing. And if with the glasses, if she takes off the glasses, they know she’s Supergirl. Like, I don’t I don’t know. Again,

Josué Cardona 29:11
I disagree. They haven’t confirmed either way. But I like the idea that because because it’s a performance, right? It’s always a performance for him. So he has to. So it’s like he took off his glasses. And I think when he took off his glasses, the shift in their face is more like why did you just take off your glasses? Like why are you like, you just got like, I thought you were joking. And now I think you’re serious?

Lara Taylor 29:36
I think it’s great because we can both read it the way that we’ve read it right?

Josué Cardona 29:41
Yeah, and, and one of us is wrong and we will find out eventually.

Lara Taylor 29:46
No, we won’t.

Josué Cardona 29:47
we will we will

Lara Taylor 29:48
we’re not gonna address it.

Josué Cardona 29:49
We’re definitely gonna address it. They’re definitely gonna address it we’re gonna find out and and I need to know at this point, but I think again,

Lara Taylor 29:56
I think you’re gonna write to the the writers room, but

Josué Cardona 29:59
he There’s a difference. Like, there’s already multiple things. And it may actually this may actually go deeper into the idea of like, I think that I’m watching something and you think that you’re watching something like Nina’s comment and even your reaction to this makes me think that you’re, you’re, you’re seeing it like something like a CW show. And I’m seeing it like something different. I may be completely wrong, I may be completely off base, right? Just because the show feels different. But it’s the same idea. It’s the same thing that I’m pitching in terms of the kids, right? It’s like to them, there’s there’s just it’s their father isn’t Superman. So it doesn’t matter what they say he’s not Superman, right? So maybe I’m because I want to believe that the show is different than every other CW show that these things are different. So to me, I think it’s much more dramatic and like serious in the sense that when he took it off, they’re like, Whoa, you were joking. You were just joking, right? Like, the dissonance is here. There’s a disconnect. Why do you look so serious? And when he turned around and he like, lifted up the truck? That part’s a little silly. It’s most it’s mostly fanservice.

Lara Taylor 31:05
I know. I was like, I was like a for lois He just flew in the air. Why can’t you just fly in the air? And then I said then then he flew in the air with the truck over his head.

Josué Cardona 31:14
Yeah, he should have just he should have just flown. But I appreciate the the callback. There were multiple callbacks,

Lara Taylor 31:23
they showed that they basically showed the Action Comics number one cover in the scene in the first thing we see Superman in the in the show, it was great. Like the modern day version of the car. Yeah. Oh,

Josué Cardona 31:35
yeah. Exactly. Exactly. Car, whatever.

Lara Taylor 31:37
And then the old suit like it was, Oh,

Josué Cardona 31:40
yeah. No, that was that was great. That was that was and it was just enough fan service. Like we didn’t need, we didn’t need a whole lot more than that. There were like, here’s a little bit of fan service. So that’s why he lifted his the over the over his head, and then flew. The one thing I can’t get around is how large his camp farm that nobody sees him flying out in and out. It’s more believable than Spider Man sneaking in and out of his window in New York City with like literally like 3000 different you know, apartments or windows that can

Lara Taylor 32:13
I could see somebody seeing something for Spider Man, although there’s like the bystander effect or whatever, like people will not notice like they’ll say they won’t say anything.

Josué Cardona 32:24
I’m saying we don’t get hung up on this stuff. Right? This is this comic book superhero stuff. But But when it when it tries to be so I get it. This feels dramatic and serious and cinematic to an extent where I’m like this. This is seemingly more realistic. But that part is not that productions. Okay.

Lara Taylor 32:41
Okay. The doctor didn’t I mean, the doctor did say something, but like he’s on the phone with a doctor and then puts the phone down and immediately gets to the he’s far away in Metropolis.

Josué Cardona 32:53
She doesn’t know. She doesn’t know that. He could be in the driveway. She didn’t know if he was driving up. She doesn’t know. She’s not tracking him. She’s not tracking him.

Lara Taylor 33:04
Mm hmm.

Josué Cardona 33:05
Like that ones that she was like, Clark.

Lara Taylor 33:06
How’d you get here so fast?

Josué Cardona 33:08
She said

Lara Taylor 33:09
that and I’m just like, Really? You didn’t?

Josué Cardona 33:12
That was again? I’m not know. Look. I don’t know. I don’t know. That one’s that one’s easy. That one. That one can happen to someone without superpowers. Like, Oh, I just called you. It’s like, Oh, yeah, no, no, I was. I was there. I was right here. Yeah, yeah. Okay. Okay. Somebody? Nobody. It’s Yeah, that was hard. That was hard to believe. The other things that Superman deals with on a regular basis, that one’s

Lara Taylor 33:39
okay. And he’s been dealing with that for a long time at this point. Yeah. Which

Josué Cardona 33:43
also Oh, okay. So there’s like death moving. There’s, there’s a lot of like this. That was a lot of drama for one episode.

Lara Taylor 33:52
I cannot remember the exact quote, it was in the trailer for the show. But like, lois thing about like, Clark, your human, I think it was only like your human if you can fall apart or like, or having troubles is like, the human experience or whatever it was, she said, but it was, I can’t I can’t find the quote anywhere online. But it’s beautiful. And I love it.

Josué Cardona 34:16
Yeah, it was better than than what you just said. But yeah, it was beautiful. Exactly.

Lara Taylor 34:20
I am not a writer. Well, I am a writer, but I’m not a television writer.

Josué Cardona 34:25
Yeah, remember what the line was, but he was struggling, right? And she’s like, yeah, that’s what we do.

Lara Taylor 34:31
And he was struggling with thinking that he was a bad father. And he asked, am I a bad father? And she’s like, you’re human.

Josué Cardona 34:39
Yeah. I mean, he’s not he doesn’t he does also mean that true? Well, I mean, that’s a whole other debate. Yeah. But we can debate but he is he my father. I think he could be way worse. He could

Lara Taylor 34:53
be way worse. He you see his even though he’s not there, and I think he’s not there because And this gets into a whole slew of things that I personally feel and I relate to like, being a therapist. And I’ve quoted superheroes and therapists be like they’re similar, right? I’ve said this before, in the way that you were there for everybody else. And sometimes you forget the people who are closest to you who are at home, and you have nothing left to give to the people at home. Now, it seems like that’s his struggle right now is that he is given and given and given for decades at this point. Yeah. And he has taken for granted the people who are there at home.

Josué Cardona 35:39
What’s Yeah, I don’t know, for granted is the right is the best word. But it’s you can’t do both. You can’t do both, I think is it? Right? Like,

Lara Taylor 35:50
you can’t save everybody? and be there for your family?

Josué Cardona 35:53
Yeah. Yeah. Because you’re constantly weighing with those two things. And, again, we may we may not be superheroes. Some people have jobs that are more that what do they do have people’s lives in their hands? Right. So that are more similar to that where you can you literally think, oh, wait a minute, if I don’t go work at the, like, they need me in the ER, if I don’t go pick up someone to die. Yeah, yeah. Or if you’re a fireman or something like that, right. Like there. There are things where you can feel that kind of you have that kind of responsibility. But I think just just weighing two things, the importance of two things, is something that’s super relatable. And we do do. I mean, everybody deals with that at one point or another. But then once somebody depends on you, right, you’re like, Ah, there’s no. Yeah, I mean, sometimes it’s easier than others to to. And then it also implies that everybody would be understanding. And I think it didn’t seem like the kids. We see this all the time. After a certain amount of time, like the kids just accepted, right? You just, you’re just not gonna be here. You’re just used to it. Yeah. And, and when you get used to that, sometimes you plan around that. And sometimes you don’t want them there. Because now you’re used to, like, there’s a there’s a there’s a comfort, there’s a like a normal, right? And then you’re like, Oh, no, like, yeah, I’m gonna do the thing, because my dad’s never gonna show up, right? Or my mom would never come to this. And then when they do, it’s like, yeah, for some people. It’s like, Oh, I can’t believe that’s great. Because you’re still hoping for that. But if like, you stopped hoping for that a long time ago, then it’s just it’s just your normal. So I feel like we’re at that point, right? Where the at least Jonathan seems to be like, yeah, dad is just dad. And Jordan still has a little bit more.

Lara Taylor 37:57
he was still upset that his dad wasn’t there therapy.

Josué Cardona 38:02
Why is he

Lara Taylor 38:03
at least that’s what Lois said. That’s the

Josué Cardona 38:06
lois said, because yeah, cuz he was just like, to just sit in his room playing video games, and his dad came in

Lara Taylor 38:13
and playing injustice. I was like, yeah, Superman sucks. Yeah.

Josué Cardona 38:20
Was it? Was it injustice? Or was it

Lara Taylor 38:23
either injustice or injustice 2. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 38:25
I mean, well, because it had it looks like injustice, but I wasn’t sure if it was DC versus Mortal Kombat, or, because I had the Joker in it had

Lara Taylor 38:36
Raiden in it. Raiden Yeah. He said he was playing Raiden Alright, it

Josué Cardona 38:40
was Raiden it wasn’t it wasn’t Joker was Raiden.

Lara Taylor 38:42
So it could have been that but Raiden is also I think, one of the unlockable characters in injustice.

Josué Cardona 38:48
Is that true? Okay, what I’m getting confused. That’s why I thought it was DC versus the whole thing. Okay, I won’t go. I’m not gonna Google it. I’m not gonna I’m not gonna do it. I’m

Lara Taylor 38:58
raiden’s in injustice and injustice 2

Josué Cardona 39:02
Okay, okay. Well, the he just seemed like a teenager who was like, annoyed by his, you know, corny father, who is like, interrupted, like, I don’t know, it doesn’t seem like they have much of relationships. I don’t know how hurt he was that his father didn’t come to therapy. But I’m sure we’ll learn more about that. Because, again, not only that, they bring up the disorder at the beginning. He talks about medication afterwards. And he, he, as you say, there’s more talk about it later. Just talk about this stuff later. And I think I don’t think they’ve shown enough for me to be able to, for us a critique on

Lara Taylor 39:43
the idea that they they brought that in front and center and that Superman, like, when we think of Superman, we think typically, we think of like perfection, right? He is physically perfect. He might be not no one can be perfect in in a general sense, but like this ideal of like he’s the all American guy and like, that’s why he gets along with with Jonathan. He likes football and yeah, yeah. And so he doesn’t relate to Jordan as well. And but he has a son who has social anxiety disorder and he doesn’t look at his son. As if he’s not perfect because of that, right?

Josué Cardona 40:31
Yeah. Yeah. I guess.

Lara Taylor 40:35
I mean, I get and they’re also in the first episode, I saw them playing, you know, the, the troubled son versus the versus the perfect quarterback son with the girlfriend and yeah, I think, yeah, he’s like, I don’t know. He’s in a family with a bunch of people who achieve a lot of things. And it seems like he feels like he’s being held back. Or like he’s can’t live up to their standards or something. At least that’s my takeaway.

Josué Cardona 41:12
Okay. Okay. Yeah. And also, Superman as a character. I like the I like the argument. I like that’s not an argument. But I don’t disagree with people who say that Superman is boring as a character and as like, for stories and stuff. Like you can’t make a good Superman video game because then it’s just like, it’s just too much disbelief to have him. Like, you need a huge challenge. Right. And I, I agree with that. And in in many different ways, but by making this whole thing a family drama, then you like you can’t superman a way Yeah, you can’t Superman your way out of this, right. There’s no way to which is like why I really liked Smallville. I like the idea of Smallville. Because, okay, we never got to see Superman, because the story that they wanted to tell was Superman when learning to become Superman, right, or coming to terms with his powers and doing all of these different things. And those were way more relatable. Those were not really they ended up doing monster the week stuff. And like once he started getting more powerful, that was great. But there was there was, again, that was a drama that went on for 10 years as a one off for 10 years, I did not know was 10 years, 10 years. This, this, this feels good. This this version, again feels it feels different. I like all the things that I don’t like about the CW shows. I mean, like, a smaller was like the archetype for that like arrow. Arrow existed the like it came on TV. The season after Smallville ended. There was like there was a green arrow on Smallville. And when they announced a new arrow shows like, Oh, is it going to be? Is it going to be the same actor actor? Who’s that one? This is us than other this is us connection? There’s is is that going to happen? And it didn’t right. And then it kind of went into full blown superhero mode in a way. Anyway, so it’s, there are some campiness and stuff there that is not present so far in this in the show. Yeah, I think I think a lot of the family drama stuff is going to work. It’s also it also touched on politics, right? lana’s husband, and you know, the whole Morgan edge thing of like, no, this person like just very different ideologies. And in the second episode, they go deeper into that where they are they’re having small

Lara Taylor 43:50
towns or rural people versus people who live in the city and like that mentality and the reality that in a lot of places in rural rural areas, people move out and move to more populated areas, and then the towns kind of fall apart.

Josué Cardona 44:09
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean, yeah, that happens a lot. And but the the ideological debate of like, no, let’s let this company come in, help us and do this thing. Right. And it’s that yeah, it’s it’s it’s interesting the way that played out and I’m glad to see it play out that way. And not like the Was it the Patriot was it called the the character in Supergirl. That’s when I fell off Supergirl. Cuz I was like, This is too. I know I they’re trying to have that same.

Lara Taylor 44:43
As soon as you fell off, the story shifted.

Josué Cardona 44:48
It was too It was too much. It was too much for me. But like they don’t have to like there are there’s a lot of gray, I think I think this show is going to deal a lot with I don’t think it’s gonna be clearly good or bad. I think i think i think that comes up in the show constantly. In a way. It’s probably not similar at all. But like, I like to show blackish because it always shows has it has an idea in the episode, and then it has people coming at it from completely different belief systems from completely different perspectives. And sometimes the show doesn’t actually choose a side, right? It doesn’t tell you this is a good one or the bad one because there’s no winner or loser necessarily. And so I feel like in this first episode, everything that they presented, they presented the even the idea of Superman and Lois, it’s like, okay, these are two people who are different in all of these different ways. And you’re gonna get to see the situation from both perspectives, and even having the sons like having two sons, right? Is is? I don’t I’ve never read any Superman stories where they have two kids.

Lara Taylor 46:00
No, I’m only ever read that Jonathan is there. So there’s, I think there’s Jordan characters knew we could both be wrong.

Josué Cardona 46:07
I mean, I think I read that there are some Jordan, there’s so many different versions of Superman, right with different sons. And so Jordan is that it’s not the first time there’s a Jordan Kent is my understanding, but I don’t ever remember them. Just having twins and having two sons at the same time. But I think also having them be different, creates some elements for for drama, but what I what I’m thinking, again, multiple reasons why I’m, I’m loving this show so far. And I’m super biased, in favor of it is they are super different. Super. They’re very different. All of them. There are like these, you know, so far, they’re like all these binaries, right? of like, this person on this side, this person on this other side. But they ultimately, it’s like, oh, boy, we’re a family. You know, it’s one of those shows, right? where it’s like, we’re very different. We disagree. But we’re a family. It’s not I I don’t expect them to kick the shit out of each other with superpowers at any point. You know? I don’t I can’t imagine an episode where, like, Superman, like hits one of the kids. Right. Like, I don’t think i don’t think i don’t think i don’t think that character is capable of it. And I don’t think the show would go there. I think it’s I think it’s a family drama. I think, the emotional. I think those are the monsters of the week, right? It’s like, this week gets anxiety. This gets like, you know, the problem with this or that

Lara Taylor 47:37
the mortgage this week? It’s Yeah, finding a job. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 47:42
yeah. Yeah. And in, in many ways, like, that’s what Lewis Lewis and Clark had that a lot. Right. It was it was their relationship was always the the key right? It was always the the centerpiece of the show their relationship. And so this is cool. I haven’t I haven’t loved the fact that they showed that first moment when he met Lois, and he’s narrating it to us, right. He’s like, what that moment was like, for him, right? Like he’s like sharing this this part? I don’t know. I think I think they set up now, the more I think about it, they set up a lot of different things, maybe too much in that first episode. But it was, I think it set the tone for what it is. And I can imagine. I don’t think it’s gonna happen often. But I can imagine there being entire episodes where Superman doesn’t show up. Like it doesn’t have to.

Lara Taylor 48:41
Yeah, yeah. Only if they’re moving forward, the big. The big, bad arc.

Josué Cardona 48:49
I wish you’d seen the second episode, but also don’t want to ruin it for anybody who hasn’t. Who hasn’t watched it, but

Lara Taylor 48:55
it literally just came out like yesterday, right?

Josué Cardona 48:58
Yes. Yeah. So yeah, I think I think that that is one of the things I’m most excited about, but I can’t tell you why. Um, but it falls in line with everything else that we’re talking about. And, and I think just these first two episodes aren’t good enough for us to make library entries for. They’re full of they’re full of stuff. I think they’re good. I hope the show doesn’t turn into a CW show. I I don’t want the CW shows that already exists to become this. Right? necessarily, but I don’t want this to become those other shows. Like so. Small bill cap two, it’s a no no tights, no flight rule. Do you remember this? Know the creators from day one. They said no tights, no flight. So they said as long as this show is not about Superman, it’s about it’s about Clark and on his journey to become Superman. So well. We Will never show him and costume and he will never fly on the show. They technically did that for 10 years. He only flew I think, once or twice under the influence of red kryptonite. And then he only put on the suit in the last last scene of the last episode, where the like time jumped. And then he was actually Superman. They found ways around some of that stuff. Like he was like a jacket with the insignia for a while as a wrestler like, I don’t know, but my point is that should didn’t stray too far from what it originally established. The seat the arrowverse they’ll completely strayed. When they started, they were like, no, this is like down to earth, like no superpowers or anything. Season Three they introduced the flash and after that, I mean shit, like Infinite Crisis is just the most comic book thing to ever

Lara Taylor 51:01
legends of tomorrow.

Josué Cardona 51:03
Yeah, yeah, yeah. But I mean, like that, that travel. Yeah. I mean, they like the thing. Like, all he ended up becoming the Spectre. And they like they cross over the movies. Like it was the most comic book thing. If they tried to make the arrow accessible. At some point, they just completely gave up on that. Right? They just went in the other direction. My point being I hope that this show stays as is, which means in a way, it’s kind of unfortunate, but I think I don’t think they can cross over there too different. I don’t think you can cross over like them crossing over is like a Who Framed Roger Rabbit thing. This is how different I see that I see the shows right? It’s like, just doesn’t fit in. Like why does this look like this? Even like even the Superman suit that he has on supergirl. looks stupid in comparison to the suit that he has on now. It is Yeah,

Lara Taylor 51:57
the one he has no looks a lot like Henry Cavill suit.

Josué Cardona 52:01
Does it does everything about this feels like Henry cavils movies. And yeah, I don’t. It’s just I’m in love with the show. It is it is I was I was not expecting to like this. I was not expecting to like this.

Lara Taylor 52:19
and then you texted me immediately. We have to you have to watch the show.

Josué Cardona 52:24
Again. And it was mostly about the social anxiety, this sort of stuff. And again, it doesn’t dive too too deep into that.

Lara Taylor 52:30
But I think it’s something that they will dive deep into throughout the show.

Josué Cardona 52:36
My hope, again, me being super biased and like hopeful about this show is that it doesn’t that social anxiety disorder doesn’t become I don’t think it’s gonna have an episode. Right? No sense. I think it’s gonna be a thing that is a character trait, right? It’s like, Oh, this is just, it’s part of who Jonathan is. And the second episode seems to imply that kind of thing, which I like, right? Like, because even when something is like this come up, it’s like, oh, it’s

Lara Taylor 53:07
not a special episode that we can the Oh, he’s got social anxiety, sort of, let’s fix it. Boom, boom, boom. Yep. It’s not gonna happen that way. Yep. Yep.

Josué Cardona 53:15
Cuz I mean, we’ve talked about this so many times, it’s so good to see something like a mental health disorder being becoming something that you work on over time, not something that you just fix one day, and then you don’t talk about it again in the future, but also not having it become the reason why Jonathan becomes the villain or anything, you know, like that, it doesn’t have to be it can just be a part of his life. And that’s it a cover now then you can show the symptoms without having to even mentioned what they are. Because you already have in the past. So it’s just part of the of the character and we can we can build on that. I think, I think it’ll be good. And

Lara Taylor 53:53
we can we just, we don’t know what they’re gonna do with it. We can’t we can what we get with that we can have that we could have that. All of those things you just described, not having to put it front and center in a way where it’s something other, right. It’s not the othering. But we don’t know what they’re gonna do.

Josué Cardona 54:13
Yeah, yeah. Again, I think it’s good to, I think it’s better to say, if someone’s like, oh, why is Jonathan like that? It’s like, Oh, well, I mean, there’s a number of reasons but actually, they’ve already established he has a social anxiety disorder, that it fits that he would feel uncomfortable in this situation, or that he would deal with this this way or something like that. But not every episode be like, Oh, he doesn’t have to be a social anxiety disorder meme. Right? Like, right. I I love ADHD memes. I also hate them. It’s like, Oh, yeah, no. Is that what I sound? Like? Do I blame everything? Or do I bring up the fact that I have ADHD, you know, 10 times a day and and whenever anything happens, you Like that’s that’s what I don’t want them to do. I don’t want it to go to that extreme. Mm hmm. in a way that’s kind of what they’re doing with Superman to say they don’t have to

Lara Taylor 55:11
bring up Superman all the time.

Josué Cardona 55:12
Yeah, yeah, it just, it is a Superman is one of the things. Clark is the only way that the family is dealing with.

Lara Taylor 55:21
There was one thing that one line that got me when he went to get laid off, and he’s like, Don’t worry, I’ve got my other my other day job. And I’m like, you don’t get paid for that. Like, how are you gonna say something like that? Right? That’s I don’t think she maybe she did. Maybe I missed it, but Oh, really? Dude. Really, dude.

Josué Cardona 55:44
But and later on, they address the when when they’re considering whether or not buying the farm. He’s like, Can we afford it? Like they’re not rich? Right? Like he’s not? Yeah, they don’t have a job.

Lara Taylor 56:00
They only have her money.

Josué Cardona 56:01
Yeah, well, like they don’t have a whole bunch saved up, right. There’s not like a vault at the Fortress of Solitude.

Lara Taylor 56:08
Oh, that’s right. goal is to pay the loan. Yeah.

Josué Cardona 56:10
Right. So he brings it like that’s, that’s a whole other thing that I mean, they’re just they’re just a real family. Just a real ass family. Right. Moving from the city.

Lara Taylor 56:18
A little, just a spicy little family with some superpowers. So

Josué Cardona 56:21
what’s the what’s the what’s the old show? Green Acres. They moved from the city into the the farm rights and this is just green acres with superheroes. But good. Again, I’m just I’m just shocked by how by how good. I was shocked by how good it looked at the beginning. Now I’m just shocked by how good it is. And I’m also shocked that they renewed it for a second see then I’m

Lara Taylor 56:49
after after two episodes.

Josué Cardona 56:53
It was before the second one aired.

Lara Taylor 56:55
After the pilot.

Josué Cardona 56:57
Yeah, yeah. Yeah. The reception I haven’t even seen. You know how good the reception is. I saw a couple reviews. You know, just like highlights. headlines, saying that it was good. I haven’t really talked to anybody else about it.

Lara Taylor 57:09
A friend of mine that hates everything that I love. Loved it. So

Josué Cardona 57:15
okay, okay. Okay. That’s a that’s something.

Lara Taylor 57:21
Yeah, yeah. Yeah, no,

Josué Cardona 57:23
I’m curious how this is gonna go. I’m very curious how all this is going to. Yeah, I don’t know what I don’t know what DC is doing. in general. I think. I’m just I’m just glad to get good DC stuff. This is this is exciting. And I love all the crossover. Bring me all this other stuff. things,

Lara Taylor 57:50
but this can be its own thing. That’s okay.

Josué Cardona 57:52
For the first time. Yeah. And I don’t know why. I don’t know why maybe I’m just burnt out from because we’ve gotten the complete opposite direction. So the the idea of this one being just them is thing is exciting to me, just because it feels different at this point. Yeah, it’s not big picture. And they haven’t smaller, they haven’t mentioned anything else. So they don’t i don’t want to get hung up on this stuff. Because I usually do at some point, right? But like, if the MCU if everything is connected, like it infuriates me that things are happening in New York, where all the other like, New York is full of heroes. Where’s everybody else? Right? What are they doing? You know? That that bothers me. Superman. It’s always a problem, because I typically would be anywhere, right? Like, why isn’t Superman here in the DC world?

Lara Taylor 58:45
But because he’s dealing with another crisis?

Josué Cardona 58:49
Maybe? Right, but but at least we don’t know if Supergirl exists in this version of the world. We don’t know. Because they have a good relationship. And Supergirl?

Lara Taylor 58:59
Oh, there was a whole thing with that when he was asked to come in for a crisis. I was like, you’ve got Supergirl. She can do the same thing he did. And better because he said in the past that she is more powerful than him.

Josué Cardona 59:14
She said Yeah. stronger. Yeah. Yeah, by me.

Lara Taylor 59:18
And we don’t we don’t know. Although they did establish I think that at the end of the big crossover, that there is one universe now.

Josué Cardona 59:28
Yes. Which which, which is a no, no, no. Okay, technically, there, there are multiple Earths still, there’s still a multiverse at the end. But every show there is because at the end, they still show the other versions. They show that and they re establish things. So they show the Michael Keaton Batman universe at the end. That still exists. They show Titans and doom patrol existing in different realities, which is weird, because if you’ve seen Have you seen the first step like that, like no, so So in Titans like I think it’s like episode four or five. That’s the backdoor pilot for Doom patrol. And so technically they exist in the same. there’s a there’s a deeper nerdier argument about that. But the last episode of Infinite Crisis establishes that now they now exist in two different realities, which I think just saying that the two shows exist in different worlds and in numbers them all. What it did was it combined all of the CW shows into into one.

Lara Taylor 1:00:35
Okay, yeah, okay.

Josué Cardona 1:00:36
Yep. So and and you didn’t see infinite crisis, right.

Lara Taylor 1:00:40
I did.

Josué Cardona 1:00:41
Right. Yeah. So also the movies like that. The the DC EU movies exist there as well. And they’re kind of their own thing, but I don’t remember they show them at the end. But remember that Barry Allen from the movies shows up with a TV show. Remember this?

Lara Taylor 1:01:01
Yes.

Josué Cardona 1:01:02
That was like the one. That was like, the biggest moment for me where it was like, oh, okay, so they’re all connected. Anyway, so this feels like it might be a parallel world. It like, this is another world. So we don’t know who exists here. So, yeah, so I’m okay. If I on Smallville, I always wanted to see Bruce Wayne. And, and they actually brought in as many superheroes as they could. They were never able to bring in Bruce Wayne. But the moment like not the moment but like, as soon as the show ended. They continued Smallville on in comic book form. Do you remember this?

Lara Taylor 1:01:39
Yes,

Josué Cardona 1:01:40
I think it was Bryan Q Miller did the comics. And immediately I actually it may have been what was it? It may have been like one arc in they introduced Batman into into that world. It was it was very quick. They were like okay, everything we could never do before. And then the Smallville show is like this Marvel comic becomes a superman thing. But yeah, no, I mean, again, lots of cover here, I think I think we should do some library entries for for this one. And I think there’s gonna be a lot to touch on. And it feels good. It feels good to be able to refer to some Superman stories in a while, and the TV shows in the movies are always more accessible. Then Then the comic books, usually so it’ll be it’ll be good to be able to point people to that.

Lara Taylor 1:02:30
We got our bright and shiny TV show. Superman, I have friends who were like, why can’t he be movie Superman? And I’m like, you know what, because we can have all the things. Let’s have all the things and you honestly, if you have TV, Superman, you get more of him than just a few hours.

Josué Cardona 1:02:49
This is the one thing that I like. I like both models. I like an MCU and everything is connected. I like that there can be 14 different versions of Batman ongoing at the same time. through different mediums. And,

Lara Taylor 1:03:06
and video games, comics, movies, TV show,

Josué Cardona 1:03:09
whatever. cartoons. Yeah,

Lara Taylor 1:03:11
cartoons.

Josué Cardona 1:03:12
Yeah, so Yeah, I’m fine with it. I don’t. Do you know, did you ever watch Krypton? No. So this is this is the at one point, it’s kind of ridiculous. What DC is doing. But like we had Gotham which is like little boy, Bruce Wayne. Right. Right. While we had, you know, the Christopher Nolan movies, we’re still wrapping up I think I had just wrapped up and then we had the the other version of Batman in the movies. plus all the other versions that are always ongoing, plus multiple in the in the comic books, like, I’m fine with that. But with Superman we had. So there’s krypton, which is about Superman’s grandfather

Lara Taylor 1:03:55
grandfather, right

Josué Cardona 1:03:56
is not even Jor-El. It’s Jor-El’s dad. And it’s just a political drama set on krypton, which is pretty good. It was pretty good. But also completely disconnected from every single other version of Superman. But I like that the Actually, I don’t know what I’m saying both both companies have completely gone in both directions. At this point. They both established that there are multiple versions, there’s a multiverse and that there’s multiple versions of each one and each entrance. I don’t even know where I was going with that they both they both moved away from it as far

Lara Taylor 1:04:33
as but as far as the the media like the the visual, not visual media, for TVs and movies, like MCU is everything is connected,

Josué Cardona 1:04:46
but so is in DC. That’s what they established in the Infinite Crisis. They established that everything is connected. All the old movies are connected to this in in a way they’re more The only time that Marvel has ever Sort of introduced, like they’re just playing with the ideas of the old movies now. But DC has been doing that for longer. I’m glad that they’re both doing it because it also opens up the possibility that anything is possible. Like the idea that may be Michael Keaton’s Batman will show up in, in the Flash movie. I’m okay with that. That’s, that’s, that’s, that’s another version of JK Simmons showing up and, and far from home. It’s the same thing, right? It’s like, oh, you’re from a different version of this world. But you’re gonna show up here. So again, I think they’re both doing it. I think that’s cool. Please leave that shit out of Superman and Lois.

Lara Taylor 1:05:45
Let it be Superman and Lois. Let them hide away in Smallville.

Josué Cardona 1:05:51
Yeah, let them have their own thing and all this stuff, but like, don’t make it it doesn’t have to be. If they do that, if they bring it in. I hope that they do it in a way that is also meaningful, like that comic book story version of Superman dying. And then there being and you finding out that there’s another version of him living on this world who survived a cataclysmic event from a prior version of your own universe

Lara Taylor 1:06:23
that should not have survived. Exactly, yeah.

Josué Cardona 1:06:26
But no, but the thing is, there was a lot of drama from both ends. It was him you learn afterwards that he what a struggle it was for them to exist in a world that wasn’t their own. You know, meaning Jonathan Lewis and Clark, they adopted different personality, like different names and everything, so that they can exist and survive in this world without interfering with like, they knew that these people already. So that’s those like, doesn’t have a story to tell, right? Like this, this conflict that they had internally, the type of people that they were that they decided to do that. Once Superman died, the Superman of this world died.

Lara Taylor 1:07:13
Then there was a whole thing like, do I step up? Do I be the Superman and then Trinity begins with the new set of Trinity begins with Wonder Woman and Batman trying to figure out Can we trust this guy?

Josué Cardona 1:07:29
Yeah, who is this not

Lara Taylor 1:07:31
and Wonder Woman loved Superman. Yeah, one point. And it’s like, You’re not my Superman. You’re not my clark. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 1:07:39
yeah. Right. So dealing with that? Yeah. And it’s like, how does this how do all of the all of his friends and family deal what’s the fact that? Of course, he’s stepped up because he’s fucking Clark Kent. Right? Like, that’s what he does. Of course, he would do that and be Superman because the world needs him.

Lara Taylor 1:07:53
He’s the boy scout. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 1:07:54
yeah. But all of us are like, how we had relationships with him, right? We had new versions of there was Superman and Wonder Woman had their romance and then Superman, and that there was a Batman Superman comic book that showed them. I think from even from they were kids, they had ensured that they had interactions. There was something if I remember correctly, in that version of it, maybe maybe mixing Superman, Batman and Batman Superman from like, before and after the, the new 52. But yeah, I mean, so you can introduce something like that. And, and it’s still be a very personal story. without, you know, the space time continuum exploding if we touch or something, or something, something like that. It can just be, it can just be personal, personal and dramatic. Yeah. Okay, well, we’ll see where the show goes. Let’s see what happened.

Lara Taylor 1:08:50
Last time, we speculated on a show on this podcast, we kind of nailed a lot of things on the head.

Josué Cardona 1:08:58
We did. All right with wandavision. I think we did. All right. But there we agreed a lot more than we then we did on this one. So we’ll we’ll see.

Lara Taylor 1:09:07
Also, we talked about wandavision like four episodes, and this is only I’ve only seen one so

Josué Cardona 1:09:14
yeah. I wonder if we’ll talk about wandavision again. Next week after the finale. It’s Link’s turn. It’s uh whatever they want. Yep. We’ll see. All right. So will we make dc library entries for the new Superman and Lois show? The only way to find out is by visiting the GT library, which exists on the Gt forum.geektherapy.com.

Lara Taylor 1:09:40
if we don’t, you can make one.

Josué Cardona 1:09:42
You can make one also, you know, I haven’t brought this up on the show. I don’t think I have but it Yeah, it’s it was created. It’s an open source thing, right. So I don’t know people

Lara Taylor 1:09:56
have made their own entries. Both people have made their own entry. That’s what

Josué Cardona 1:10:00
yeah, I always I don’t bring that up enough. But like, it’s an open source tool. It’s there for everybody to add to the database. And every time I see that someone has added to it, it makes me very happy. That’s a big question. That’s something I want to do this year. But yeah, it would be helpful if we also did some of these.

Lara Taylor 1:10:19
Absolutely.

Josué Cardona 1:10:21
So again, yeah, visit forums at Geek therapy.com. To see if that if we’re actually gonna follow through with all we said, for a while. And if we make the entry and you disagree, or you want to add something to it, it’ll be there. Yep, the GT library is a database of characters and episodes and movies and a whole bunch of geeky media reference pages, for you to use, you know, with the Geek Therapy model, or in your own work, so that you can connect with people because here at Geek Therapy, we believe that the best way to understand each other than ourselves through the media we care about the GT library helps with that, because you can’t watch everything. It’s super helpful.

Lara Taylor 1:11:04
can’t do all the things there is too much to read. Watch play.

Josué Cardona 1:11:10
Yeah, yeah, unfortunately, but I’m working on it. I’m trying to watch all the things in play other things. That’s not true.

Lara Taylor 1:11:16
One game and show at a time.

Josué Cardona 1:11:19
It’s hard, it’s hard. Also, there are links to all of our social places and social profiles and community spaces in the show notes. For more Geek Therapy, visit Geek therapy.org. Thank you so much for listening. Remember to geek out and do good and we’ll be back next week.

Transcribed by https://otter.ai

Characters / Media
  • Clark Kent / Superman
  • Lois Lane / Superman
  • The Arrowverse
  • Jonathan Kent / Superman
  • Jordan Kent / Superman
  • Kara Zor-El / Supergirl
  • Bruce Wayne / Batman
  • Clark Kent / Smallville
  • Lana Lang / Smallville

Themes / Topics

Conversation Topics:

* Change
* Consequences
* Difficult emotions
* Family
* Mental Health Services
* Strong female role models
* Sacrifice for others
* Taking responsibility for one’s actions
* Working with others
* Other: ADHD

Relatable Experience:

* Blended Family
* Fear/Anxiety
* Moving
* New Life Event (New Rules)
* Other: parenting

Questions? Comments? Discuss this episode on the GT Forum.

Links / Social Media

Check out the GT Network: network.geektherapy.com

GT Forum: forum.geektherapy.org

GT Discord: geektherapy.com/discord

GT Facebook Group: facebook.com/groups/geektherapy

Find us at www.GeekTherapy.org | @GeekTherapy | Lara: @GeekTherapist | Link: @CHICKENDINOSAUR | Josué: @JosueACardona

Ask us anything through the Question Queue and we’ll answer on the show: geektherapy.org/qq