Pre-TAGGS Excitement

Originally published at: Pre-TAGGS Excitement - GT Radio

Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed

Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More

#293: Josué and Lara talk about preparations for The Applied Geek and Gaming Summit, and review all the wonderful Geek Therapy community spaces.

Transcript

Josué Cardona 0:07
Welcome to gt radio on the Geek Therapy network here at Geek Therapy. We believe that the best way to understand each other and ourselves is through the media we care about. My name is Josué Cardona. I’m joined by Lara Taylor.

Lara Taylor 0:18
Yo,

Josué Cardona 0:19
yo,

Lara Taylor 0:20
yo. Link’s not here and I start changing up my opener.

Josué Cardona 0:25
Yeah, yeah. Links not here. They are working on stuff. Doing important taggs this weekend. three presentations at tags. That’s a lot.

Lara Taylor 0:36
Yeah, I’ve got three presentations to tags. How many you guys weigh a bazillion? Right?

Josué Cardona 0:41
Ah, they’re all mine. Oh, yeah, I’m, I’m, I’m going to take care of all of them. Hopefully. Not, I’m not alone in that. But um, you know, I will be,

Lara Taylor 0:54
you’ll be there all day. all the weekend.

Josué Cardona 0:55
I may be like the architect in the matrix with like, all the screens up and monitoring multiple things happening. But I, I’m not complaining. Actually. That sounds that sounds good to me. Okay, so here’s what we’re going to talk about today. And it may be a short one, because we have to keep preparing for taggs. I literally just finished the meeting before this. And I’ll go back to it. For those of you who don’t know, taggs is the therapeutic and applied geek and gaming summit, the first professional conference and, and gaming event of its kind, presented by Geek Therapy in the bodhana group. I’m very excited about it. And I’m a little tired, but it is going to be great. And if you’re listening to this in the future, after the event has past, don’t worry about it. That’s why we’re working very hard, perhaps even harder on making sure that we were able to record everything and preserve it so that we can continue to have a version of the conference that exists until yknow taggs 2022 Ooh, breaking news. I’m assuming we’ll do a taggs 2022. And until then, we will, we will keep it up. And then you can get a media pass. And just by access to all the stuff that we recorded

Lara Taylor 2:12
a pro tip probably want the media pass anyway. Because there’s like five panels going on at a time and everything looks so good.

Josué Cardona 2:20
So assuming that you Yeah, you’re listening to this live? There’s no way I’m posting this before taggs. Taggs live is actually done. Exactly. But if you’re listening to this before, then yeah, definitely get your live plus. plus media pass. Yeah. Yeah, no, I’m excited. But so what I’m excited about partially, and what I want to talk about today is this. The theme of taggs is community, everybody has a seat at the table. And we have always made it such a core part of Geek Therapy, to build community. And so we have very specific community spaces that allow us to do that. So the podcast part is weird. It’s the main driver of content. But there isn’t like a place where you can go or where people go, you can go to the forum, basically. And that’s where all the podcasts are and where you could post and things like that. But it’s it’s it’s other places where people congregate. Primarily, we have two, which are the the discord which we bring up all the time, which has been refreshed.

Lara Taylor 3:34
It’s looking great too

Josué Cardona 3:36
Good, it’s got options for you know that you can opt in and out of all the channels.

Lara Taylor 3:40
all those people who say we have too many channels. You don’t have to have all the channels.

Josué Cardona 3:44
you Don’t need them all. Yep, yep, yep.

Lara Taylor 3:46
Unless you want them all.

Josué Cardona 3:48
Unless you want them all. I think I think, yeah, I think it’s working out really well. I like it a lot. And I love it. I think it’s I think it’s great. It’s got this new feature where we can do live events, just exactly the same way that clubhouse. The app does them right where people we can, we can have a live event where we’re talking and it’s and it’s audio only. So it’s very fitting for for us even though like we’re live right now on video on Twitch. We’re primarily audio content. And so that’ll be really cool because we can have these live events and then people can like Raise your hands and come up and we can include them in the conversations and it’s called stages. And we’ve got it set up. It’s It’s great. We might do some of these episodes that way in the future, or other things we’ll see. But we’ve got it all set up on the discord as well. So it’s great. And I I love the Discord. I think it is I think it is fantastic. Obviously we also have like things like this, we can be live on Twitch and Brandon comes into the comments and put emojis up. Yeah, right. So hey, so Hi, Brandon. Yeah. Right. So this is a space for that also, right? We’ve had the string team over the years, different people. streaming and different people in the in the audience and in the chat. And that’s one way for community building. But the Facebook group,

Lara Taylor 5:10
that thing is a beast of its own

Josué Cardona 5:12
Facebook group is at 4300 people last time I checked, which, again, I think two years ago, there was an episode where you were like, oh, we’re almost at 400. It’s amazing.

Lara Taylor 5:23
I think last year, I think last year, I was excited that we were almost to 1000. I think two years ago, it was like 400 or 600. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 5:34
yeah. Yeah. And I mean, there are there are specific, they’re very good reasons that I can pinpoint. For a large part of that growth. Some of it is like the teleplay group, right? They’ve been Kara and Zach, that group over there. They’ve been fantastic. They’re always telling people like, depending on what it is like, Oh, you should check out the geek therapy group. And there’s just a lot of members of the community who are constantly promoting and advocating for for our Facebook group.

Lara Taylor 6:04
Yeah, there’s I check every person that comes in and I look at where they heard about us. And there’s a lot of different Facebook groups that people are coming from mostly therapists groups, but sometimes it’s like ADHD support, kind of groups in a couple of neurodivergent affirming groups. I love it.

Josué Cardona 6:27
Yeah, yeah. My favorites are like, Oh, my supervisor recommended me sometimes.

Lara Taylor 6:32
my coworker

Josué Cardona 6:33
Yeah, yeah. Yeah. So so the growth has been, it has been organic, like people, for the most part, it’s people suggesting, hey, check it out to people inviting their friends. And then then coming in. And I want to talk about that today. And other groups in general, we bring them up. But it is, it is so good. It is so good. Right? It is like it in a way it is exactly. It almost feels like the ideal version of what we set out to do 10 years ago, in that somebody posts a question about an anime or a video game, or they just post like a geeky reference or something like that. And then we can answer those questions. I answered a question yesterday, that was completely just technology related. And I don’t spend enough time on that anymore. The original tagline was like how can nerdy, geeky nerdy and techie things like save the world, and as someone with an electronics engineering degree, and someone who is loves technology, and is a big tech geek? I, I, we don’t do that anymore as much. Just because content wise, we used to have the psych tech podcast with me and Kelli Dunlap. That was so much fun. It was really like it was the second podcast on the network. There’s over 100 episodes, that website is and one of those situations just like the the original version of the GT library recipes. It’s a it’s it’s, it’s bad. Yeah, so I need to get I want to get it fixed someday. But just just for that, like nostalgia of it, like the website is up, all the episodes are there. But it is completely overrun by malicious code and stuff. And it’s just, it’s just, it’s just work that I haven’t I haven’t put into it. And I mean, at this point, it’s money. I think it’s beyond by my skill set. So but that’s there, right? It was a big part of it. And just like having questions, the thought that someone thought, I have this technology and not even like, practicing, like, it wasn’t like a like a, how do I use technology? It was like it was like almost like a tech support question that a therapist had in their practice.

Lara Taylor 8:58
Mm hmm. I’ve seen people asking about like, what kind of chair what kind of gaming chairs do y’all use? gaming chairs are usually pretty ergonomic.

Josué Cardona 9:08
The thought that someone would think, like, a router question or a gaming chair question and think, who can I ask? Oh, Geek Therapy. Let’s go to Geek Therapy Facebook group.

Lara Taylor 9:19
Oh, what kind of computer should I be using?

Josué Cardona 9:23
It’s, it’s, it’s wonderful. It’s wonderful. I love it. I love it so much. It makes me very happy. And, and that those are just like kind of outliers, but I’m just glad that they’re still there so that people can think of us and be like, I don’t have any nerds in my life. You know, who would I who can I go to? We got you.

Lara Taylor 9:42
We got some of my favorite posts are ones where like people were like, I hope I can post this. It’s not therapy related at all, and they’re geeking out on something and I’m like, this is exactly what this space is for too Yeah, we can be providers together. We can be clinicians together. There’s not just clinicians, and the group like, some of the best responses I’ve seen on some of those anime questions are from my friend Claire, who is a librarian, I believe, and just loves anime. It’s great. The fact that she goes, like, in depth into what the meaning of these characters are and what people could be pulling from them. It’s amazing.

Josué Cardona 10:25
Everyone has a seat at the table. I love that. I mean, this is exactly why we we have never closed the group off and said that it’s only for mental health practitioners, right? Like, just because I was when I started the group. I know like there’s so much value, there’s so much value, there’s so much that I learned from other professions, and there’s so much that other professions have learned from what we’re doing. Now, the beauty of the of the Facebook group is that the people who are responding like Claire, they are just members of the community, right? We definitely have. For example, we have a an awesome moderation team. Right?

Lara Taylor 11:10
We got a good squad,

Josué Cardona 11:11
we have an amazing squad, right? So like it we what what boonie and jameelah and Ariel are providing is so central,

Lara Taylor 11:22
and Sophia,

Josué Cardona 11:23
Sophia, Sophia. Yes, Sophia, too. But like, I’m not. I’m just think she’s, she’s very, very, very involved. But she’s like, she also has a podcast on the network, right? Like, actually, I think, right. And so to you until why like, we’re, we’re also part of that moderation team. But like, for us, it’s

Lara Taylor 11:45
for the other ones who were like, we’re bringing them into the circle right there from the community.

Josué Cardona 11:52
And that’s where their first role was, right. Like, I would love to create content with with them in the future, or, you know, I would like to provide them platform so that they can also talk about other work that they do. And, and and I’m sure that eventually, we will in a way, they’re all presenting a taggs, right? So in a way they’re all doing so. But they’re but it’s like if they weren’t helping us, like, there’s no way that we wouldn’t keep doing it. Right. Like, like, we were like, We’re too invested. Right? I think Sophia is very invested. Right? It’s, it’s,

Lara Taylor 12:23
it would be hard. But we would do it. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 12:25
exactly. Exactly. But But Sofia was I mean, she’s there now. But she wasn’t like, at the beginning, right? Or many, many years ago. She was like, oh, like, no, like, I resonate with this information. I’m a fan of the information that she would reach out and ask questions she was she was just very active in the community. So we have a lot of people that are very active in the community. And, and I, I like to sit back and watch and see what’s happening. And it’s beautiful. What’s happening is is beautiful. I yeah, I I often talk about Geek Therapy, like our on paper. Our mission, right is to advocate for the the effective use of pop culture and popular media and geeky stuff in different types of practice, educational, therapeutic community work. And and that’s like the statement of it. Right. But another way of talking about it is that in terms of our programming, the primary thing, or the way that I visualize it is resource building. And, and I think at one point, it was primarily community building. And then very early on, I saw Oh, wait a minute, no. Our role, or the best way that we can serve our community is to create resources. So everything that we do one way or another is resource building, like this conversation, this podcast, the idea is that it will, it will exist in a form that will allow people to visit it in the future and hopefully be helpful. And some episodes are more helpful than others and it’ll depend on what you’re looking for. I think we have we have this this week, I plugged our Disney podcast, which we haven’t recorded an episode in a very long time.

Lara Taylor 14:13
We we’ve been we’ve recorded a couple of episodes that are in the they haven’t aired like seen the light of day.

Josué Cardona 14:20
We Yeah, is that

Lara Taylor 14:24
Yeah, we’ve got a GT vault just like the Disney vault in we’ve recorded a Mulan episode that never saw the light of day, but that’s okay.

Josué Cardona 14:31
It will someday I’m I’m obviously our backlog

Lara Taylor 14:34
it’ll just magically appear, like Disney magic.

Josué Cardona 14:39
Not counting this the 110 psychtech episodes that are currently in limbo. There’s probably another 100 episodes that are in the vault right now. At some point, it just gets a little too overwhelming, right like At what point do you It just gets too much like where do you start? Like, do we? I don’t know. That’s something? Well, that’s a whole other show. But the we’re building resources, right? We have, we still have hundreds of episodes, we have videos, we have the GT library, we have these entries, we have all these things. And so everything that we’re doing is we’re always trying to build that up and build up the resources. I wanted to spend a little time today talking about the learning community aspect, or the those learning spaces. Because on the one hand, it’s a beautiful thing is, again, like I was there yesterday, I was like, I’m just huh. And you’re getting different perspectives, and you’re getting people, right, it’s like, I mean, I love those moments where someone asks something, and I’m like, Oh, I know exactly what that is. I’m gonna be the first one to respond

Lara Taylor 15:47
you were so happy to be on Facebook, when you hate Facebook.

Josué Cardona 15:51
Look, I hate Facebook. But the group is hard. I hate Facebook so much. So much. If I could, if I could effectively move everybody off of Facebook onto another platform. I would. But I know that’s not possible. I hate Facebook so much. But I love our group. One of the things that I resent the most you know resent Facebook for the most is that there used to be a group’s application, like for your phone that was completely separate,

Lara Taylor 16:22
like messages,

Josué Cardona 16:24
like messages? messenger, right? Yep, you could just go in and I would only go to the GT Facebook group. That’s it or other groups that I was a member of. That’s all, I would just go, No.

Lara Taylor 16:35
And then they got smart and realized that’s what you were doing. its your fault

Josué Cardona 16:38
And they to spite me, they they eliminated it. And then they they forced me to go into Facebook. And then also like, when you’re on the desktop, I get just like, yeah, the happiness is off my face now, right? Like, I’m like, reflecting on that. But what’s happening in the Facebook group is wonderful. The only thing that I don’t think that I don’t like about our group, and it’s it’s, it’s in large part, Facebook’s fault is that it is hard to organize the information. Right? So people ask the same questions over and over again. And we I mean, we don’t even have people who are like this has been answered before already, please use the search function. I’ve seen that happen a few times. But the search function sucks. So it’s like it’s not easy to do. So that’s not like there

Lara Taylor 17:32
are groups where it’s like this has been answered before use the search function like they are like hardcore

Josué Cardona 17:37
about that. Yeah, I mean, I’m, I am not hardcore about it. Because I would not want. Ideally, if that was our policy, I would love it if people could easily find that answer. And then we could somehow lose the advantage of the forum, right? Like this is like the forum is ideally, what this would be like, if someone asked a question, we could keep sharing it on social media, or we could have it refresh, right and come up over time. And every time someone adds to it, it would like a bump it up on the front page of the forum. So that way new people can add to the conversation. What I don’t like is that Facebook makes it so that we lose a lot of potential learning. Because if the question came up a year ago, and then it came up six months later, and then it came up six months later, after that, there’s three different instances answered by different people living completely separately. But if all those existed at once, and everybody just added to it, it would be much more useful way more helpful. And, and that is why that’s why the forum exists. And the forum is more of an ideal. But if the if the Facebook group can get a, you know, 4400 4300 to give us a number, do you have it not? Don’t worry about It’s fine. It’s fine. It’s I don’t want to like break the broadcast. But but it’s like, we’re probably around 4400 at this point. And so I’m, I’m going to keep keeping up the forum, because I’m hoping that we will, you know, that we will move people there. At some point. I’m really, really hopeful. That’s still the long term plan. And I may even hopefully, we can recruit people on the Facebook group to start extracting some of those conversations and moving them over to the forum. That may be an interim step, something that we have to do, because otherwise we’re just losing that stuff. And then for for what’s up. Oh, for

Lara Taylor 19:42
brandom typing random number. I

Josué Cardona 19:44
don’t I don’t know. Oh,

Lara Taylor 19:45
that’s the Facebook group number. Oh 4325 people in the Facebook. Okay.

Josué Cardona 19:52
Okay. Okay. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, Brandon. And there’s like 60 more, I think waiting to To be approved,

Lara Taylor 20:00
that i need to get to

Josué Cardona 20:02
Yeah, that brings me very close to the 4400. I’m just gonna keep saying 4400 that there are things that we can do right in between, I think that that that will be a part of it. Hopefully, we can we can recruit some more people, or maybe someone will volunteer after listening to this right. And then help us with that. Because I was thinking, and I’m curious what you think about this. So I, I use wikis and fandom dot com is a big one, I use Wikipedia, I use. And I use YouTube a lot, right? Like, there’s a lot of content there. I use it to learn all sorts of things. Including, like, for example, for video games, right? Like I’m playing. I was talking to a friend yesterday about Monster Hunter rise, and it’s his first Monster Hunter game. And, and he’s, I understand exactly how he feels because this is how I was when world came out, like two years ago. I was it was my first Monster Hunter game. And it was

Lara Taylor 21:02
overwhelming?

Josué Cardona 21:04
Yeah, yeah, like, we have this T shirt on the store that says mastery Hunter, right? designed to like, you know, inspired by the, the Monster Hunter logo, and I even bought, like mastery hunter dot com have an idea about this. And it came from the fact that I had spent I knew, like, I had spent around 100 hours studying and learning how to play Monster Hunter. And about 100 hours played, right, I was like, I spent just as much time learning. Now there’s, there’s, there’s awesome stuff about that’s been written about how the like, the most fun part of the games is the mastery component. And, and also like, once, once, once you’ve mastered it, it’s not as fun anymore, and then you go to something that’s completely new and difficult. And then you get into that. And you’re able to, to start that process again. It’s like a learning process. Right? So learning is a big part of mastery. So I, I use spaces like that a lot. I or if you’re a coder, right? You’re like, this is essential. Right? Like, I mean, I’m sure, on tiktok, there’s tons of videos, right of like, you know what people think coding is like, and the truth is, you’re just copying and pasting, right from from GitHub, and from and from stackexchange and different websites, and everybody’s learning together. But it’s because all those things are searchable, etc. I’m sure there are communities that are like our Facebook group. But I think we’re doing a disservice to the community. In only having that information, having that information be ephemeral, right, ephemeral being, that it comes into existence and then disappears. Right. And and although it is technically saved in Facebook, it is so hard to extract Yeah, yeah. And I think Facebook does it on purpose, which is why one of the reasons why I hate Facebook, because they know the right they want you to continue to engage the more people that ask the same question again. And so I don’t want people to not ask the same question. Again. I want people to like, I think I’ve talked about this right on the forum, you can type in a question. And then discourse, the platform that we’re using there, will say like, hey, this looks similar to this like, is this switcher? And if someone asked the same question or similar one, you’ll see the post right there. So you don’t have to ask the question again. There’s nothing wrong with asking the question again. But like, that way we can, we can take advantage of what already exists, like why, or even re rewriting things.

Lara Taylor 23:36
or even like, In Facebook, we get a lot of questions about anime a lot. But like, the most common one

Josué Cardona 23:45
thats a new thing

Lara Taylor 23:46
is a very new thing

Josué Cardona 23:47
we’re in the anime phase, and I’m all for it. Yeah,

Lara Taylor 23:50
I mean, a lot of my teens, and a lot of my queer clients are very into anime. And I’m like, I’m so out of date. But we get questions all the time, especially about my Hero Academia. And yeah, but you could like in the forums, you could in the forum, you type in my hero academia, and any post that has in whether it’s library post or someone else’s question,

Josué Cardona 24:19
or a podcast episode,

Lara Taylor 24:20
or podcast episode, it gets brought up. And then if none of those things answer your question, you can ask a fresh one. Or you could ask it anyway.

Josué Cardona 24:30
Yeah, yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I hate the thought that someone for example, there was a question this week asking about the phrase to nibio in in Japanese. And because of our anime podcast, gian, you know, got me into into this show and gian just showed up. Yeah, yeah. Whoo.

Lara Taylor 24:55
Yeah, gian, you need to be you need to be more active on the Facebook. Yeah, you have opinions. You can write your novels on there. It’s okay.

Josué Cardona 25:02
It’s hard. It’s hard though, right? So let’s I’ll use Gian as an example, which is, which is great. gian lives on Discord. He’s allowed to visit Facebook where he lives on Discord. Right? So if someone asks a question about this particular concept or idea, right, should you go to discord? We have an anime channel, right? And you can also search for like things will come up. But in the Facebook group, someone asked that question, I saw it yesterday, a few minutes after it was posted. Gian doesn’t visit regularly. So he, so he did not provide his answer or insight to that question. Because he’s just not there. Right? We talk about Link is not on Facebook at all.

Lara Taylor 25:39
And links got a lot of good information, in their head,

Josué Cardona 25:44
the Facebook group will never benefit from from a response from Link, because there’s no way that Link is going on Facebook and I I support this decision.

Lara Taylor 25:53
We might be able to persuade them to be on the forum. Right? But not facebook

Josué Cardona 25:58
Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah, no, no, I’m on Facebook. And you know, and then it’s a shame but, but just just the fact that again, and link’s case Link will never be on Facebook. But the gian was like, busy and then missed it. I mean, and that’s what happens to me all the time. I feel I feel better that, again, there’s so many people that are active and contributing well, and we’re even, we’re even moderating ourselves. Right? If someone says something that is not it’s not Geek Therapy aligned. Right. But I think I think we can start using a phrase like that, right? where somebody’s like, Oh, yeah, no, because you know, video games are violent. You’re screwed, like people just, this is not even a rule. We’re just gonna get on you.

Lara Taylor 26:46
And the interesting thing is that people get on you, but like, not in a, you’re stupid kind of way. Right? Right.

Josué Cardona 26:54
Right, right.

Lara Taylor 26:55
It’s just here’s the evidence here. Here’s the information.

Josué Cardona 26:58
No. Comma, here you go. Exactly. Right. And then, yeah, someone asked the other day. And it was like, oh, like I’m writing an article. Like, like, is there consensus on the violence and video games thing, right? And I’m like, Damn, right. There’s a consensus. And it was interesting, because some people responded with great answers. And but they didn’t respond with my first thought for the answer, which was a statement that the American Psychological Association issued last year, which was like, if you’re, if you’re literally the question is like, Is there like a definitive? Like, is there like, have we decided is there like, a, an agreement? I’m like, Yeah, like, that’s a pretty good one. The APA was like, Ah, yeah, there’s no causation whatsoever. Between that we can see no study has ever been able to find a connection, right? That’s like the end. It’s like, we were working on this for five years. And we found nothing. Right. It’s one of those statements. Yeah, I hope I would, I would like that the next time that someone has a question, which is a question that comes up, over and over and over again, every time I do a live training, it’s a question that comes up inevitably. And you know, when reporters and things reach out, it’s like, it’s almost annoying to get that question again. But its impossible to access

Lara Taylor 28:24
and that post has like, all these articles listed.

Josué Cardona 28:27
Exactly. So the next time that someone asked that, if, if, if I don’t respond, if Kelli Dunlap who responded to that one doesn’t respond either. What kind of response are they going to get right? And then and there’s also an opportunity for on a day where there’s tons of messages, we may even might miss it, right? So maybe someone will post something that is like actually wrong, or very array biased towards the, you know, towards videogames being violent? And then none of us see it, because it’s not a violation of the guidelines or the rules in any way, right? It’s just information that’s like, not accurate or too old. And then when nobody then that person walks away with with with that information, instead of I wish they would have been able to find this particular one, right? Because this one right now is good. But just like nothing. I mean, we have to literally take that information, right? And kind of I can’t there’s no, there’s no great way to move it from the Facebook group over to the forum. No, like genuine way to do it. Right.

Lara Taylor 29:27
The only way I could think of is to make a post about like, video games and aggression and Link all the articles. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 29:35
I mean, it’s like we’d have to do a blog post right? to basically and you’re right. There’s no organic way to be like a person asking a question and then having a conversation going. It’s just posting resources and stuff. Anyway, we have we have the tools we have. And I get it. Like if you’re comfortable in Facebook, I know that’s why you’re there. I don’t expect Facebook to make this any easier for us. If anything, they’re gonna Make your way, way harder, the more that we figure out ways around it. But, you know, I? Yeah, so I’m always torn about that I’m sure I’ve brought that up before, where it’s like all like the beautiful things happening in the Facebook group. It is just amazing. But But how could we do a better job? I think I think we’ll we’ll definitely be able to. I think we there’s no way but up at this point, right. Like, it’s it’s good enough for people to find an answer right now. But it depends on a very active community to do that.

Lara Taylor 30:35
Right. And I think that it’s like, there’s these different stages, right? The discord can be pretty, like instant conversation, right? It’s pretty, pretty instantaneous, unless like, someone leaves a message and walks away. And

Josué Cardona 30:49
it’s just as ephemeral as Facebook. This is true.

Lara Taylor 30:53
It’s ephemeral, but it’s like, it builds that it’s organized. It’s or it’s in that community space of like, I’m talking with people right now, this is like I’m able to interact with people right now. And the Facebook is kind of like that, too. It has that feeling of like someone’s responding to me. The forum feels like a older message board, which is like, but I think that’s a good place to store information. And it’s still have those conversations. I mean, we decided to have a forum. We joke about it just for gian, who needs to write more than the word let the character limit, you know, on discord

Josué Cardona 31:30
no character limit for gian.

Lara Taylor 31:32
Yeah. And so I would definitely welcome him on the Facebook group. I think he could add a lot of things here.

Josué Cardona 31:38
Yeah, I think. Yeah. So actually, the discord because of the way it’s structured, it is actually more ephemeral, right? It’s harder, because on Facebook, you have posts, and then comments on that post. And then but like with multiple posts, and just kind of disappears and gets hard in Discord.

Lara Taylor 31:58
You can reply to a post, but like that post is lost way up. And you can kind of like it will miss the conversation.

Josué Cardona 32:05
Yes, yes. Right. In the sense that right? It is ephemeral It is like right now in the moment, but it’s way more organized in the sense that like, if you had an anime question, you would go into the anime channel to ask that question. And if you want to search something you would search it in, in the anime channel, right? Or, I mean, you could look around, right, but but it is way more organized than Facebook. So I mean, they they each play a role, I understand why some people in our community are only in the discord. And some people are only in the Facebook group. I completely understand why that is. And and I take offense to the forum being like an old message board.

Lara Taylor 32:39
It looks a lot cleaner than an old message board.

Josué Cardona 32:42
It is the tech is way, way better than than an old message board. And I think in in terms of tech and organization and a lot of things. It’s better. It’s way better than Reddit. And Reddit is incredibly active. Reddit just has way more people and users, right? Like, yeah, like, ideally, we would have all the people from the Facebook group on the forum.

Lara Taylor 33:04
That’s another thing. We just got a whole bunch of people from someone did an AMA on Reddit, and we got a ton of people from that. Is it Mike Byrne? He’s in Australia.

Josué Cardona 33:16
I need to I need to.

Lara Taylor 33:18
He linked us his ama and like, we got a ton of people coming in from there. It’s great. It’s good.

Josué Cardona 33:25
He’s good. Yeah. He’s been Yeah, he’s been fantastic. Yeah, he and it is. I’m at the point like we’re mentioning him by name. And I’m at the point right now where I’m like, I want to meet this guy like, like, this is the whole reason why we have this community right is because we want to meet like minded people. And it’s definitely a like minded person. I’m so glad that he found us and that he’s, he’s so helpful to like he’s answering so many questions

Lara Taylor 33:49
he’s so active, so on, because we’ve had some people come in and just like, dump their stuff in there and then not post another thing. He’s all over helping everyone out trying to give the kind of what Geek Therapy affirming information, like, yeah,

Josué Cardona 34:06
yeah, yeah. Yeah. No, he’s, he’s, he’s great. And as far as we can tell, right, he’s not like, trying to, you know, sell a book or his services or like other things, like, you know, if he’s dming people or doing something like that, I have no idea we would never know. But like, we’ve had people who just come and share their videos, or just come in and plug even their own stuff, right. And even like, even even though it’s the Geek Therapy, Facebook group, sometimes I even I want to make sure that other people are responding to that. Look, we have a resource. We have a podcast episode on this, and we have a whole show on this idea. But I want to be sure that there’s other stuff there too. That it’s not just doesn’t seem like people get I mean, we have rules against that against the constant plugging. And yeah, no, Mike is like exemplary as as far as I can tell, and it is it is.

Lara Taylor 34:55
I think sometimes in the comment, he’ll drop his like his blog or whatever, but I I think that’s fine if it’s a resource.

Josué Cardona 35:02
exactly exactly. Like even even if it’s a free resource, that’s, that’s great, right?

Lara Taylor 35:07
If you’re a resource, and you’re responding specifically to somebody’s question like, hey, this might help. I think it’s great.

Josué Cardona 35:13
I can and if we’re if we’re about resource building, right, we can’t build all the resources. So we it’s important that we’re able to, that we that we make the room for that as well, because we can’t answer every question. So I think it was trying to say before, and I got lost, I lost track. But I love that feeling when someone asked question, and I know what they’re talking about. But lots of times, it’s impossible. Like, it’s impossible to know everything, watch every movie, listen to every song play every game. We’ve been saying this for years. And so you need this many people because even when it was just us, even if it’s just like, like the 30 content creators on the Geek Therapy network, even if it was just us, we still don’t know, every, we still are not touching every single thing. I mean, john, and I do the, you know, otaku ryoho, which is the anime podcast. And there was an episode where we talked about how we watch very different anime. I mean, you know, for the show, we watch things that are similar. But yeah, there’s a lot of stuff that that I would have never watched that had he not told me about it, like the Chunibyo show I mentioned before. I don’t know how long it would have taken me to find that. And, and, and like, I watched a lot of the more current stuff, and I know, he doesn’t end. And that’s the anime show. And we can’t cover we everything. So we need other people like Claire, the librarian to help us fill the gaps. And, again, I think we’ve built up enough of the template. And and for, for us to be able to preserve that information better. So yeah, so that’s, that’s kind of where like, I, depending on who I’m talking to you, right, I see geek therapy as a as a learning community. Right. It’s like we’re coming together, we’re learning from each other. Like you said, like the example you gave before, there’s definitely always a space for the geeking out part, that part is essential. We need to practice that. And it’s good to practice it with like minded people who even professionally read our thinking similar to you, right, like, or that they see that it’s meaningful, and they can use it in their work.

Lara Taylor 37:21
And even even if it’s not like minded people, even if it’s the people on the periphery that don’t get it, but want to try and get it for their clients. That’s important to see us as a professional adults geeking out over things.

Josué Cardona 37:35
Yeah, yeah. I mean, we did that community Episode A while back. And I’ve I think I can kind of re visualize it, maybe it might be a good exercise to re visualize kind of the the different parts of the community, right? Because there is we’ve grown that subject matter expert piece of the community, a lot. We’ve attracted enough people there. Right. And then we do have some people who are just like, we’re just here to ask questions. Right. And and it feels. I don’t know for sure we have enough people now that I can’t keep track of it. Right. But when

Lara Taylor 38:14
someone is at 4300, we got 4300. We get Yeah, we got 4300 people in there. And not not 4300 people are posting, right.

Josué Cardona 38:24
Yeah. But But I mean, but some people will post the people only post questions, right? It feels like they’re only taking and they’re not giving maybe

Lara Taylor 38:33
that’s because they genuinely want the information and don’t have much to give about

Josué Cardona 38:38
this. Right, right. And even even even assuming that they literally only came to find information, that’s fine. This is why we’re a nonprofit organization. This is why we were here to build the resource. Right? We’re hoping that people will will will come to a think of us when it’s time to, to answer a question like that. Yeah, ideally, right? People, people can also contribute. But that’s the whole point of having the community. Those people are, once they’re in, they’re able to contribute if they if they want to. And yeah, engagement on social media is, in general, not not our social media alone, but like, in general is very, very small. And it isn’t until you have like 4000 people in a group that you can start having the wonderful experiences that we’re having now, where you ask a question, and that how often does a question not get answered?

Lara Taylor 39:33
I will see the I don’t see any posts that don’t get a response. Usually, if there’s something there

Josué Cardona 39:40
I’ve seen, I’ve seen something following right like, and which is better than no response at all. Because

Lara Taylor 39:48
somebody else is interested. Yeah.

Josué Cardona 39:50
Yep. And you asked the question, and it’s validating that someone else is interested in it. That’s great. But yeah, I don’t remember. If I and if I see a question that hasn’t received an answer. I’ll do things like I will try to answer if I if I don’t know, maybe I type people. Yeah, tag people who I know would would have an opinion on it, or some thought, Oh, this this happened the other day. I searched for something i don’t know if i remember what it was, I don’t know. I’m not sure what, what how exactly this happened. But I saw a post. And I responded to it. And I didn’t realize it was a three year old post. Like I tagged four people on it. And didn’t real and afterwards realized that it was a three year old post, and then I deleted the comment. But I was like, I just bugged these people to answer something from three years ago,

Lara Taylor 40:42
three years ago.

Josué Cardona 40:43
And and it wasn’t, I think it’s it wasn’t the type of question that would have benefited from a response three years later. Because on the one hand, I think that’s good. I think I think it’s fantastic, right? It was more of one of those questions like oh, like, I’m looking for somebody in Chicago, who’s, you know, who could provide supervision It was one of those questions, which are also very welcome in the in the in the group. But it was one of those. I was like, god damn, if it would have been some other I’m sure I’ve answered questions years later, that are actual content related and you know, something that we can contribute to? I wouldn’t not answer a question because it’s old. But that one I was I thought it was funny. Because it’s, it was it was someone with a need with an immediate need. But because Facebook sucks it up, it somehow appeared out of order. And in all of these, right, like, there’s some stupid way that Facebook wanted, you know, thought, Oh, this is this, this is related to what you want to know. Like, no, not not at all.

Lara Taylor 41:43
Don’t, don’t put it as relevance, put it as time. So I know how far back in time it is. Thank you very much.

Josué Cardona 41:52
Yeah, yeah. Well, I mean, I don’t just want to complain about Facebook. I mean, I could, I’d rather do that with Link. I’d rather my

Lara Taylor 42:00
point. The point here is that you went back and he tried to answer some questions that weren’t that didn’t have as many answers

Josué Cardona 42:08
I don’t remember. I know, that’s not what I was doing. I don’t really remember what it was that I was doing. I don’t know what I searched for what it was that happened? Um, I think, I think so there’s a question. And this is actually relevant. And I think I think we can wrap up on this point. I’m really, like, we’re exploring the different pieces of the of the Geek Therapy as a learning community, right. It’s like, we have community spaces. I hope that they’re fun, entertaining, I hope you’re able to make friends, lifelong friends. But primarily, we want you to learn something, ideally, you would contribute something as well. Right to that, that, that group of people, there’s that piece of it. And one thing that keeps coming up in the community spaces is like a directory, and directory, right? I was talking to Janina Scarlet the other day, um, we’re working on a thing for taggs, we’re going to be presenting together taggs this weekend. And we’re also working on another thing in the future. And artifact to talk about it. So So that’s, that’s all I’ll say. And then we we were discussing this idea of a directory. And I was like, oh, like, I have a list of people, you know, do you have lists of people? It’s like, put it together. We’ve had this conversation. So now me and Janina, right this the first time we had the conversation, but you and I have talked about this, and it’s come up. And I remember one time it was years ago. I think I’m almost certain it was Kelli. And I think this is what I was looking at. I was Kelli Dunlap. And she created like a directory. It was a it was a like a Google Sheets document. I I don’t know if I’m wrong, but I remember very clearly. Um,

Lara Taylor 43:49
yeah, maybe maybe maybe I put my name on a direct on a sheet or a Google forum recently,

Josué Cardona 43:55
I think I think

Lara Taylor 43:56
it was. Take this as one.

Josué Cardona 43:58
So so the my My point being that i think i think this is what I was looking for, right? Because there was a thread recently about, I think it was Mike too right? who was like, yeah, I’m trying to like

Lara Taylor 44:09
cuz he’s in australia, and he wants to know, where American friends are practicing. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 44:15
yeah. Or just around the world. And the, and I commented to him, I said, Look, we’ve tried this before. And it it, it has never been effective. It has never been effective. Because the moment you added your name to that directory, right, let’s say let’s say you did, right, you’re saying you you added you name to some. You change jobs, you know, like in the past two years, right? And then put

Lara Taylor 44:41
it on since I changed jobs.

Josué Cardona 44:43
Remember to remember, but this is

Lara Taylor 44:46
what I would have to remember to go update it. Right.

Josué Cardona 44:49
That’s the problem, right? So none of these things are that so the moment we share something like this, which is what happened, we share this resource. People try to use it and the information is outdated. Right. And then The moment that that happens, then it loses you lose confidence in it, and then people aren’t gonna share it. And so there are multiple versions over the years. I did I did one of the I think it was one of the things one of the trademark updates where I was talking about the, the listserv like I had created, like a Google list right. I thought, like, eight years ago, maybe I think, you know, and then had forgotten about it, because like, people don’t use it. It’s like, that’s not the ideal, right? I think I think the Facebook group, the discord, they work way better than that a listserv can the forum, I think it would be the ideal. But that was like, a version of it, right? So we can contact each other and and get in touch. And then we keep making versions, and it doesn’t, it doesn’t work. So I have an idea of a way to do it on the forum. But I think the only way to do it effectively, because because the the forum, one of the great things about it is that it does have a wiki function. So there are ways to do it right? There, there are multiple, I think the forum is probably the best place to have it live. Maybe, because the problem, the problem is, if what, basically what I, what we need to do as an organization is make it like make it one of our programs, like I think we need to like, make it its own thing and dedicate the appropriate resources to it. And I think now we’ll be able to actually, this probably isn’t a 2021 thing, it might be more of a 2022 thing, depending, but like, we’re gonna have to dedicate time and money to it to make sure that it’s actually that it’s accurate. because it requires a degree of it requires a manpower. I’m not sure how much I can, I could automate some parts of it. But I need to check in with you Like every three months or so to make sure that that information is good. And if you don’t, then I’m gonna pull it,

Lara Taylor 46:54
yeah, you could even do like a six month like, I know, three months is probably more accurate, but at least six months. Like

Josué Cardona 47:01
you gotta like re reaffirm. re-verify

Lara Taylor 47:04
Once Yeah, after six months after you’ve signed up and basically basically reassessed your information like you would Yeah, for Credentialing

Josué Cardona 47:15
That’s exactly what we need to do. So we need to build that in.

Lara Taylor 47:18
Although I feel like even if there was like, I had to look, I was referring a client to another, a friend of mine who practices for, for something and like, I don’t know where my friends practicing right now. So I googled their name, and came up with Psychology Today and their practice page and all of that. So like, even having the names and licenses out there is helpful for finding information on somebody. But

Josué Cardona 47:50
yes, and no,

Lara Taylor 47:51
yes. And no.

Josué Cardona 47:52
The moment is the first person you search for, right? Like, how much information is there? What happened? Like? It’s yes and no,

Lara Taylor 48:00
it’s Yes, and No, no, exactly.

Josué Cardona 48:02
Cuz if you randomly pick you’re like, oh, Lara Taylor, sounds interesting. I’m gonna look her up. And then you check him and then it’s just obsolete. And it could be obsolete in in a in so many different ways. One of them could be you have your insurance, the insurance that you accept listed, and that changed. And you do actually say my insurance, but I didn’t know. But it doesn’t say that. Yeah, I’m not gonna call you to verify like some people will. Right. But like, there’s too much friction involved to get to that point.

Lara Taylor 48:32
And yeah, and when you look at a company like psychology today are therapy den or any of these other ones, like they have resources dedicated to those things, and it’s on the clinician who pays for that service to update their information.

Josué Cardona 48:50
Yeah, yeah. And so I think it’s related because because of it, it’s this we’re always building the resources but there’s still that people component to it. Right. And and how do we You can’t expect gian to always answer your anime questions on on on Discord. Right. You can’t always expect

Lara Taylor 49:16
Well, why not?

Josué Cardona 49:16
him be on top of it? Yeah, I mean, you can, but you’re going to be disappointed.

Lara Taylor 49:20
might be disappointed.

Josué Cardona 49:22
Yeah, yeah. Yeah. So I think there’s a there’s a lot that we can do. And yeah, there’s probably a much better I’m even glad we had this conversation like live. I’m just curious what people thinking if they have an idea, but but I hadn’t, I kept thinking of it in old school terms of like the person with the binder, right with all of the resources, whose job it is to all day every day. Go through that list and never stops going through the list. When you get to z you go back to a you call everybody to make sure that everything is done. There are newer, you’re right. There’s better ways to do that. And there’s like an at the station, and if it happens or it doesn’t, doesn’t work, we can do that. Gian says to please, please, expect him to answer

Lara Taylor 50:08
he says yes, you can expect me to answer all the questions.

Josué Cardona 50:11
That’s good to know. That’s good to know I was wrong.

Lara Taylor 50:14
I’m just impressed right now since we’re live on Twitch, I’m seeing more people than I’ve seen before when we do these live gt broadcasts, viewing

Josué Cardona 50:25
we’re still not at at Brandon Saxton numbers from like, three years ago when that man brought in a crowd. Patrick O’Connor bribes his students, by the way, with bonus points for his classes. That’s how he brought people into the into the stream

Lara Taylor 50:41
unfortunately I am not a teacher. So

Josué Cardona 50:43
yeah, yeah, yeah. Well, it is interesting that this conversation, right brought in more people. Good. This is kind of a this is a winging a conversation. I meant for this to be a 20 minute episode, too, you know, to just knock it out, you know, just get done. Yeah. But, uh, ya know, we’re 50 minutes in. So this is, this has been good again. So. So it’s just, it is kind of a review of all of the different community spaces. I think I’ve explained how, you know, we’re all about resources, but there is the we’re a learning community. I think, again, at the end, I wasn’t planning on talking about the, the idea of the directory, and, and we just need to dedicate resources to it to do it, right, because I think it is very, very important. But also like, and how do we make it so that claire, the librarian has a has a role too right? like, if they want to be available, it doesn’t just have to be you and I have had wonderful conversations on the show about the clinical experiences, right? Like I like as clinicians, the experiences that we’ve that we’ve had with our clients that are non traditional, in the sense that like, it’s not just an office, it’s not just outpatient treatment, once a week. There are so many of us doing so much work, and so different. How do you how do you do that? Right? And how do you how do you include everybody? Yeah. Oh, chief? Yeah. So So, um, I’m not even gonna acknowledge gian’s comment. But, but it’s, it’s a it’s a great point, gian is is a medical doctor, and an anime specialist. Right. Those are, those are, those are his things. Those are two things that actually like you can find a blog post by gian, on the Geek Therapy website, that shares his amazing story. But him you know, working in hospital, using anime, Naruto, specifically, to, to really, really help a client. It’s a beautiful story. So like, how do you that’s why that’s why I think we need to revisit kind of how to do this. Because just like the group is, so it has people, just different kinds of professionals and people with different interests, something like a directory, I think it would be a disservice to what we’re doing and the mission in general, if we just made it another Psychology Today, kind of thing. And we focus, like I mentioned insurance and things like that. But like, you may have a good point, it may just be reach out to this person, right. And this person, maybe insurance isn’t the right way to think of it. Right. It’s it’s more location and interest. fandom. I think I think that’s it. That’s probably those are probably the columns. And then how do you and then like a contact button? That’s probably the best way to do it. Yeah. Oh, yeah, we did it. I think we figured it out.

Lara Taylor 53:42
Then if you want to find if we want to find the insurance or anything like that. Let’s look them up on psychology today.

Josué Cardona 53:48
Yeah, yeah. I mean, again, we set it up in a way that’s like, reach out to me this way. Right? That’s, uh, that’s not. Yeah, I don’t I don’t know. I don’t know how best to do it. But again, I think it supports. It supports the mission to make sure that we can find each other more. And the Facebook group is great. But it’s not everybody. It’s not the whole picture. You’re missing out a lot. If you aren’t in multiple spaces. 100% of the time, that’s impossible. So. So yeah, so I think that’ll benefit the learning community and everything that we’re doing. All right. What a weird episode. Thank you for listening. Yeah, I mean, I like I like when we do these episodes. It’s good. It’s good. It’s good. Thank you for listening. For more Geek Therapy, visit Geek therapy.org. And in the show notes, we’ll have information on all of our community spaces, every single one of them. And this will be the last time we plug taggs as a live event. But we will keep talking about it as a as a recorded event you can buy access to so if you’re listening to this in the future And

Lara Taylor 55:00
until we start plugging next year’s,

Josué Cardona 55:03
until we start plugging yet you may listen to this. Who knows who knows when you listen to this, it could be anytime. So for information on the therapeutic and applied geek and gaming summit, visit tag summit.org. I’ll put a Link to that in the show notes as well. And thank you for listening. Remember to geek out to do good, and we’ll be back next week.

Transcribed by https://otter.ai

Characters / Media
  • Social media platforms

Themes / Topics

Conversation Topics:

* Community
* Leadership
* Making new friends
* Mental Health Services

Relatable Experience:

* Presentations

Questions? Comments? Discuss this episode on the GT Forum.

Links / Social Media

Check out the GT Network: network.geektherapy.com

GT Forum: forum.geektherapy.org

GT Discord: geektherapy.com/discord

GT Facebook Group: facebook.com/groups/geektherapy

Find us at www.GeekTherapy.org | @GeekTherapy | Lara: @GeekTherapist | Link: @CHICKENDINOSAUR | Josué: @JosueACardona

Ask us anything through the Question Queue and we’ll answer on the show: geektherapy.org/qq