Our Flag Means Death

Originally published at: https://geektherapy.org/our-flag-means-death/

Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed

Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More

#235: Link’s new obsession is Our Flag Means Death. They talk it through, as a crew.

Transcript

Josué Cardona 0:11
Welcome to GT radio on the Geek Therapy network. Here at Geek Therapy. We believe that the best way to understand each other and ourselves is through the media we care about. My name is Josué Cardona and I am joined by Marc Cuiriz

Marc Cuiriz 0:22
Hello.

Josué Cardona 0:23
Lara Taylor.

Lara Taylor 0:24
Hey,

Josué Cardona 0:14
and Link Keller.

Josué Cardona 0:25
Hiiii

Josué Cardona 0:27
Link. What are we talking about today?

Link Keller 0:29
Today we’re talking about our flag means death. A fairly recent HBO Max show about pirates. And the pirates. Oh, they’re queer. And I love it so much! ooooooh!

Josué Cardona 0:49
If you really love a show, like if you say you love the show, like how many times have you watched it? I mean, come on.

Link Keller 0:56
I am halfway through my seventh rewatch of this show.

Josué Cardona 1:02
You love the show.

Link Keller 1:03
now, I do not I do not rewatch shows like like this in this like, like, I will. I will rewatch a show. You know, a year later. Like I did that with Russian doll. I did that with Buffy a couple of times. You know, two, three years in between a rewatch. I’ll be like, Oh, well, you know what, I love that show. It feels good. I want to rewatch it. This is the first time I have ever, ever finished the last episode. immediately clicked back. Episode One. We’re starting over again immediately.

Josué Cardona 1:43
And that happened six times.

Link Keller 1:46
I paced it out a little bit more in between. I you know, I watched Russian doll Season Two and I’ve been watching some anime and stuff. I’ve been adding some other things in in between but it’s it came out in March. And I think I started watching it at the end of March. Yeah, yeah. Seven times. That’s it’s a lot. I am obsessed.

Josué Cardona 2:15
Why? Why, Link?

Link Keller 2:18
So a couple of reasons that I think we’ll touch on probably all of them but the queerness is the biggest reason. It is starring Rhys Darby and Taika Waititi, who I love. I have enjoyed their work for several years. What We Do In The Shadows is a big one that a lot of people are familiar with, which I also really loved that show did not immediately rewatch that one. Like the pirates. But yeah, yeah, I it is it is so it’s not subtle queer. It is. It is a queer show. There are queer characters, there are several couples confirmed. Like it’s beautiful. And it’s it’s it’s like a comedy show is how it is like, promoted and it is funny, but it is honestly it’s like a rom com. It’s a gay pirate rom com. And I didn’t realize that I had a pirate ship shaped hole in my heart until this sailed into my heart it is I just love it so much. It’s beautiful. It’s funny, it’s endearing and it’s not queerbaiting and it’s fantastic. i Yeah. i I don’t know probably on my third rewatch. I was like okay, but you guys like you’re gonna watch it right? and we’re going to do an episode on it. Right right guys? So I softly and then more fervently bullied you guys into watching this show. So what did you guys think about it?

Josué Cardona 4:21
Did everyone watch the show? Okay, Lara what do you think of the show?

Lara Taylor 4:28
I liked the show a lot. For some reason. I didn’t get into it until I had to get a couple episodes in. But like I think that’s me with most shows. I don’t the exposition is hard for me, but I loved it. Um, I want a season two like right now right now, because I want to know what happens. Also, the queerness really got to me in some sweet moments and funny moments but not one Like the gays were the butt of the joke moments, right? Like, it’s it was beautiful. And I am also obsessed with pirates. So and I was obsessed with pirates before the gay pirate show.

Josué Cardona 5:13
I thought Vikings were your thing?

Lara Taylor 5:16
They are my thing

Link Keller 5:17
there’s a lot of overlap in that Venn diagram.

Lara Taylor 5:19
They’re on boats and they fight.

Josué Cardona 5:21
are vikings Pirates?

Link Keller 5:23
sort of

Lara Taylor 5:24
Probably maybe they do the same things as pirates. They’re just older.

Marc Cuiriz 5:30
just older? Yeah, like I know what you mean.

Lara Taylor 5:35
as in like years decades

Josué Cardona 5:38
once you hit 40 you’re a viking

Lara Taylor 5:44
so Josué we’re pirates now

Josué Cardona 5:45
you’ll be a pirate you’ll be a viking next year.

Lara Taylor 5:47
so will you

Josué Cardona 5:50
you. okay. Marc reactions?

Marc Cuiriz 5:58
Well, I loved the first episode. And I will admit that as all I watched so far,

Josué Cardona 6:06
oh no, we’re booting you. eject.

Marc Cuiriz 6:11
I’ve been wanting to really just sit down and binge it because I really loved the first episode. Like it was to the point where I like I didn’t want to watch and then have to, like, Stop, like, halfway through because something else was happening or like, I had to go do something. Plus, this is like the last like, this has been like the last two weeks of like, my, my semester. So like, I had, like, eight page, like single spaced papers that I needed to write. Like, I had a whole bunch of stuff. And I mean, I still have stuff I have to do by the end of this week.

Josué Cardona 6:40
Marc, Marc, Marc, I mean, look

Marc Cuiriz 6:43
it’s no excuse. It’s no excuse. It’s gay pirates. I get it,

Josué Cardona 6:46
you’re new, you know, you’re a new cast member. And then you come here and you break Link’s heart. So unbelievable

Lara Taylor 6:53
the last person who broke Link’s is gone

Josué Cardona 6:56
we got rid of them

Link Keller 6:57
okay but, you watch you watched the pilot, and I am gonna give you credit for that because that is more than the other person did

Marc Cuiriz 7:07
i have also

Lara Taylor 7:08
that’s true

Josué Cardona 7:09
in the time to watch the pilot of our flag means that you could have watched most of

Lara Taylor 7:15
over the garden wall.

Josué Cardona 7:18
so you’re good

Marc Cuiriz 7:19
Exactly. I will also say though, I have also watched every single tik tok about it, that Link has sent me so

Lara Taylor 7:26
Okay, okay,

Marc Cuiriz 7:27
I’ve at least put in that effort. But no, I I did also I did start like part of Episode Two. And then that’s when I stopped it. And then I got upset and I got really agitated cuz I was like, I don’t want to stop I want to keep watching it. I just didn’t have the time to do it. So after this week, I’m definitely going to go through and watch it and then I’m going to be two weeks behind and all the gay pirate stuff, you guys are going to be way past it. And I’m going to just be catching up to it. But I have full intentions but like I said I really just thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a nice different take on carry on a main character that I was already familiar with. And then just kind of seeing the spin on it and seeing the story continue on essentially was great. I loved it. I love the humor is fantastic.

Josué Cardona 8:14
Explain that. Explain what you just mean. What do you mean why are you familiar with the main character are one of the main primary characters of the show?

Marc Cuiriz 8:21
All right, so this is where the Assassin’s Creed is finally coming into play everybody here we go. So So in Assassin’s Creed Black Flag this like you play is Edward Kenway. But one of like the side characters that like is like a friend is Stede Bonnet. Like he sort of like tricks him in first

Josué Cardona 8:41
Steve?

Marc Cuiriz 8:41
Stede. I said stede bonnet I didn’t say Steve, my goodness, what am I, a savage?

Josué Cardona 8:45
it’s a reference to the show.

Marc Cuiriz 8:49
That’s true. That’s true. Sorry,

Lara Taylor 8:51
sorry it went over your head

Josué Cardona 8:52
obviously didn’t watch it

Marc Cuiriz 8:54
went over and over sorry, guys, I’m a little a little behind on the times. No, but I you get introduced that character so that you see it as like that that businessman type of thing in the game. And then at the very end, that’s when he’s being cast off. He’s gonna make his own as as a pirate and kind of like leaving everything behind, but obviously doesn’t divulge too much into his story as to like, why he’s doing it except for like, they hint it like he was part of Blackbeard’s crew. And Blackbeard got so annoyed with him that he just gave him his own little like, boat and was like here, go off and do your own thing. And then to kind of see see that classic like characteristics that they had in the game and see it being transferred into the show. And it just it really just kind of feels like it’s all like the same person just doing it. Because it’s the same like bumbling like, Oh, I like they accidentally like like a Scooby and Shaggy thing where they accidentally fall and do the right thing. Like oh, Aside from from killing somebody, but you know, you know what I’m saying like it’s one of those like classic like goofy like clueless humor that like it just like transitions so well from the game into this. And like I looked at the like the cast list and I see like even other characters from the from the game that are obviously like mainstay like historic, like historical characters from the Golden Age of Piracy. And just like seeing them also, like I’m looking forward to seeing like, Mary bonnet. And like, who was it? What is it Olu?

Link Keller 10:35
Oluwande.

Lara Taylor 10:35
Oluwande

Marc Cuiriz 10:35
Yes. Yes, like characters like that. Like, I’m just like, I’m just so interested in seeing, like, I just want to see more of this. I just want to just take it all in.

Lara Taylor 10:44
I completely forgotten that Stede Bonnet was in Assassin’s Creed.

Josué Cardona 10:49
but I didn’t I didn’t know you liked Assassin’s Creed Marc. That’s interesting. That’s really cool.

Marc Cuiriz 10:54
You know, it’s not that many people know about me, but I’m just a really big, really big fan, but I keep it on the low key you know,

Josué Cardona 11:01
I’m glad I’m glad you brought this up. So you know, spoiler warning now for the rest of the episode. Sorry, Marc. That’s fine. You enjoy the the rest of the season.

Marc Cuiriz 11:12
I enjoy spoilers actually

Link Keller 11:13
it’s gonna be a sweet reward when you’re all done with your semester.

Marc Cuiriz 11:17
it’ll fit really well. I’m going to treat myself to some gay pirates.

Josué Cardona 11:20
Spoilers. Mary shows up. So, so it’s interesting some of the stuff that you said. I mean, first of all, right, like some of these characters are real, right are like kind of like historical figures. The gentleman pirate Stede Bonnet. I think I love the idea of the setup. You don’t have to call the episode this, but like I, to me, it was like, Oh, our flag means existential crisis because he’s, it’s that story of someone who is just like fed up with their life or is unhappy, and, and is willing to do things differently or go go on an adventure, right? And then the sense of the show, but just like try something new and change course. And sometimes that means leaving things behind. Sometimes that means leaving your family behind. And, and so really this is that, right? Like we come into a situation where this person of of means, right? It’s just like, Ah, I want to be a pirate. I want to make a pirate ship. And then I want to just get a crew, and I’m just gonna go out there and be up. I don’t know how to do it, but I’m gonna go be a pirate.

Lara Taylor 12:33
Gay pirates. The midlife crisis? That’s the name of the show. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 12:37
yeah. Yeah. This episode may be the show. I think that’s, I wouldn’t be surprised. That was one of the working titles. Yeah, yeah. So I think I think that, because that’s the framing of it. And then within that you meet, you know, a group of I’m not sure that they’re misfits in the sense that, like, the show doesn’t really doesn’t really, like I think other shows would have a crew like this, right? And then and then it’s, like, the joke is how weird they are and sure, They’re bad pirates, but there’s nothing about them that’s like, that doesn’t fit into that world. And there there are, there are fun, very, very, very different. Like, each person is so so different. And they’re they’re quirky, they’re queer, and there’s just a lot, and it’s so. But that’s not what the show is about. Right? Like, it really is about like this existential crisis of these two people in particular. And that’s really like, what what drives everything moving forward. And so that, that part, I loved, and, and I think is super, super relatable. And what you mentioned about the queerbaiting, I’m sure we’ll get into it more, and there’s some really good episodes of The and one episode in particular, of the queer comics podcast on the Geek Therapy network, where Nina and Jessica really go into this and explain it well. But I think it is so evident that the queerbaiting just happens constantly. But you really notice it when it’s like because it’s missing here. Right? It’s like, are they or aren’t they? Right? And like before you even get to the finish that question like the show’s answering, right?

Lara Taylor 14:26
oh. they are.

Josué Cardona 14:26
Yeah, that shows like yeah, oh, I’m sorry. Where are we? Where are we vague?

Lara Taylor 14:31
You can pretty much assume everyone’s queer. Like,

Josué Cardona 14:34
yeah, yeah, it’s like, but how would we know if these? Oh, because they kissed Oh, because they’re like, share, like, oh, it’s like, Oh, right. Yeah. No, thank you. Thank you for just like not leaving that to the imagination. And again, like I think it I think, I think this show matters for a few different reasons. But that one, that one is I think it’s a great example like this is this is what it looks like when you’re not queerbaiting the audience and it’s again it’s evident because oh, this is the absence of it is, is very loud. And it’s it’s great. I really liked the show. I’ve only seen it once. Link.

Lara Taylor 15:12
I have also only seen it once.

Link Keller 15:15
Yeah, there’s no queerbaiting. There is queer feasting.

Josué Cardona 15:19
feasting.

Lara Taylor 15:20
I like it new term coined here

Marc Cuiriz 15:27
you heard it here first folks.

Josué Cardona 15:29
So those are our reactions Link.

Link Keller 15:31
love that

Josué Cardona 15:32
guide this conversation. Where are we going?

Link Keller 15:34
Yeah. So you you touched on the midlife crisis aspect. And I think that is another really important thing is that there there is a fair amount of recent queer media that is explicitly queer. And I love that, but a lot of it is focused on younger people, particularly high schoolers, Early College, which is fine. Love that. I, Lara, you mentioned

Lara Taylor 16:00
we need more,

Link Keller 16:00
you mentioned a heart heartstopper. And I binged that all in an afternoon. I wasn’t feeling well.

Lara Taylor 16:07
that’s a nice binge

Link Keller 16:08
So I just stayed in bed and watched the whole thing. It was very cute. Lots of queer stuff, loved it. But it is so rare to see older people, older men have this kind of romantic arc in a comedy show. And I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it. And it’s just so fantastic. And I know, you know, from tiktoks that I’ve seen from people talking about it on Twitter, that there are people who are like, I have never felt that my queer life arc of realizing I was queer, you know, in my 30s or 40s. And then finding love, you know, I never thought that I’d ever see anything like that. Excuse the dog barks. And getting to see that reflected in their media is like, Wow, I like that’s beautiful and loving and something so rare and special. And it’s, Yeah hoo!

Lara Taylor 17:08
And even though they’re pirates and doing all kinds of pirate, things like the the the romantic arc is so innocent.

Link Keller 17:18
It’s really funny, because the first episode is so much set up in is it’s a story arc of being like, basically a workplace comedy, but the workplace is on a pirate ship. And then a couple episodes, and it’s like, Wait, you’re playing that like kind of little romantic piano thing, what’s happening here? And then they have I think it’s Episode Five. They have this moon, this moonlight scene, and it is like so stereotypically like, like, the things that they say, the way that their bodies move the way that the camera is framed. It is so much romance. This is a romance we are showing you right now. And I’m like, That was that was the moment where I was like, Oh my God, are they really going to do it? Like, before that you could be like, well, you know, they’re kind of like, jokey with each other. And you can tell that they like each other. But these two actors have a relationship between them. It’s like, it could just be like good chemistry, like maybe, you know, obviously, I’m so used to being queer baited. I’m just like, oh, maybe they’re just like, they’re they’re flirting with it. But it’s not like that. And then the moonlight scene that ‘you wear fine things well’ scene. And I was just like, holy shit. They’re gonna do it. This is it. It’s gonna be romance. And OH!

Josué Cardona 18:46
so that caught you by surprise, then you didn’t like

Link Keller 18:48
I did not. I did not expect that. That was where they were going. Until a couple episodes in and then I was like, oh, and then I was like, Oh, I’m not gonna get my hopes up. And then they kiss and it’s so beautiful

Josué Cardona 19:11
Have you have you watched Grace and Frankie?

Link Keller 19:13
I have. I haven’t seen I guess a new season just came out?

Josué Cardona 19:17
yeah haven’t seen the new season

Lara Taylor 19:18
the final season.

Link Keller 19:20
I have seen the other seasons and I do I like that show a lot is that’s another one where it’s like, you know, older elderly men falling in love and getting together and I thought that was you know, a very special thing.

Josué Cardona 19:31
Yeah. So I mean, I always talk about that show favorably and and in part because of that relationship. But I’m gonna bring I’m gonna bring him in the context of this show. And that that show like the gay couple. It which while while it’s like, always shown as a positive relationship. It feels like to people like two actors who are acting gay. Right? It doesn’t and this show which, again, it’s like you don’t notice it until it until you see it differently. Right? And then you have a show like this where it feels gay like you believe it. It’s way easier to believe.

Lara Taylor 20:14
Everyone’s mannerisms in the show, like, their essence, whatever you want to call. Yeah, you can tell. You can tell. Yeah,

Josué Cardona 20:23
yeah, yeah, there’s there’s something about it. Right. It’s like very, you said the word innocent before but I feel like it’s just, it feels it feels genuine. It feels feels honest, you know, in a way and believable and, and yeah, I think that makes it really special. And I don’t know why I doubted Taika. I’m sorry. But like, I remember seeing the poster and I was like, ah, like, I don’t know, I’m not in the mood for a slapstick comedy on a pirate ship. And but in part it was tik tok right there was like, everybody’s in to it like, well, you know, tik tok can’t be wrong. Then you were in to it. I was like, Alright, I’m gonna need a new show. Let me watch it.

Lara Taylor 21:02
When I knew I needed to watch it was when my clients started bringing it up, and more than one brought it up several of them. I was like, damn it, I gotta figure out my HBO Max thing and then Link says I want to talk about it. Damn it now I’m gonna have to actually fix it. Yep. But that’s okay. I’m glad I did.

Josué Cardona 21:22
Good. Good, good.

Lara Taylor 21:25
Yeah,

Marc Cuiriz 21:26
yeah, I think I was in the same boat as Josué where I saw and I was seeing all these things for it. And I was like, I’ll, you know, it’s, I’m not even really much of a TV person. So I was like, I saw and I was like, it’s gonna be one of those. Like, it’s gonna be a show kind of, like, similar to like, the office or something like that. It’s gonna have that kind of comedy. And then like, you know what? I it’s stede bonnet. Like, I get it. It’s playing to me a little bit, but whatever. And then, and then you brought it up, and I was like, okay, okay. And then I actually

Josué Cardona 21:55
didn’t watch it.

Marc Cuiriz 21:56
And then when I watched that, when I watched the pilot, it’s the thing where life is like, Oh my God, damn, and I really want to watch this. And then last, like, Oh, I’m sorry, you want to watch a thing? How about let’s give you everything and throw everything in your way. So you cannot watch the show? How about that until you have to talk about it and then you look like a fool.

Lara Taylor 22:16
my TV wasn’t even mounted. And I was in the middle of a move and I watched it.

Josué Cardona 22:22
Yeah, yeah.

Link Keller 22:24
I do. I do. I have learned behind the scenes stuff that the scene at the end of episode eight where our crew gets captured by the British and they play the chain and it is the perfect music. And Taika’s little leggy is swings over and touches Stede and they touch feet and it’s very romantic and beautiful. And then in the episode before where they are on like a treasure hunts and they have this funny little exchange where they’re talking about like a hypothetical restaurant, Blackbeard’s Bar and Grill and delicacies and delights and fishing equipment.

Lara Taylor 23:16
I’d go to that restaurant!

Josué Cardona 23:18
tell me those scenes were those were the improvised,

Link Keller 23:21
they were improvised! They were improvised. That is literally just Taika is like look, Rhys I love you. And how I further know that is in in Thor Ragnarok Taika voices. Korg?

Josué Cardona 23:40
Korg

Link Keller 23:40
Korg. he has said that his his voice for Korg he’s like, Oh, I was just doing Rhys’ voice like, I’m just he’s my friend and I just did his accent and I’m like, Oh my God, they’re love. AHH! Yeah, absolutely beautiful. Yeah, but the improv and it’s just Taika deciding like, you know what, I’ll read really well for the screen and he does it. It’s perfect. And it’s beautiful

Josué Cardona 24:08
that almost makes me angry. That whole part is so so it because it feels it feels so real, right? It’s like, oh, how many times did you have to rewrite that or like practice it so that it sounds real? Because it was it was real? now i know it was real.

Lara Taylor 24:27
all ad lib

Josué Cardona 24:28
Oh, that’s really good. Yeah, yep.

Link Keller 24:35
I’m gonna swing over to another topic. We have a canon canonical non binary character who is played by a non binary actor.

Josué Cardona 24:50
Get out of here.

Link Keller 24:50
I am fucking in love with them. They are so hot!

Lara Taylor 24:54
they’re all over my tik tok. They are all over my tik tok all over my tik tok They have blue hair

Link Keller 25:01
they do. They go to Ren Faire. They’re Puerto Rican and they speak Spanish. And it’s sexy. Yeah. Vico Ortiz. Like, I love them so much is fantastic to see that kind of representation. I feel represented in a non binary way. Like, eeeeee!

Josué Cardona 25:24
their character is so funny. Their character is so good.

Link Keller 25:26
Their character is very funny. They have a fun story arc and an episode that’s mostly focused on them. But my favorite thing is once Jim is the character once Jim is revealed to not actually have a beard, or be mute, the crew has like a moment where it’s like, Oh, are you a woman? Like, what’s the deal? And very funny scene, and then from that scene forward, every single person uses they them pronouns for them.

Lara Taylor 26:01
No misgendering even the Nana,

Link Keller 26:04
it’s perfect. And so validating and, and it’s just treated as like, of course, like, why, why? Why wouldn’t we, like, that’s just how it should be. And like, that’s what I want to see in media is like, not the angsty, painful, like forcing people to like, understand that non binary people exist and are worthy of respect and love is like, No, we love Jim. Do you think Jim will stab me if I ask real nice is like, we love them? Oh, my God.

Josué Cardona 26:41
Yeah, I think, you know, we’ve we’ve talked about, I’m thinking of a scene from shameless Lara, specifically. I think you have the scene where?

Lara Taylor 26:55
Oh, the one at the restaurant with Ian?

Josué Cardona 27:01
Ian, yep. And all the friends right and where and where they’re like, Oh, they’re talking about the pronouns? Right. And it’s like, so educational and the whole thing, like, and they’re all explaining right. And it’s obviously

Lara Taylor 27:14
the first time he’d ever heard they them pronouns.

Josué Cardona 27:19
Yeah.

Lara Taylor 27:19
or like asking about pronouns?

Josué Cardona 27:22
Yeah, but it was, but it was like, I remember, we celebrated that scene. And I still do. And I think it’s, I think it’s a good scene. But it this is we’re talking about the other end of the spectrum, right? Where I mean, that, that wasn’t really part of the story, right? Like even even in show, it’s like, Sure, I understand. You made a choice to like, oh, let’s explain it. Because there’s an expectation of who’s watching the show. And it’s an opportunity and all that, but it feels so good to just be like, we’re not going to waste time on that. Like, it just, it’s they, that’s the pronoun. They’re They, we keep going. There’s no, there’s no, there’s nothing right? And the like, the only joke is like, are you still Jim, right? Because they they’re confused about, like, because of the makeup and the prosthetic and stuff. And it’s, and that’s a funny joke that has nothing to do with

Link Keller 28:12
with their identity.

Josué Cardona 28:13
Exactly with their identity. Yeah,

Link Keller 28:16
the joke is the situation,

Josué Cardona 28:18
things that you can really appreciate where it’s like,

Lara Taylor 28:20
yeah, there’s room for all those stories, right, there’s room for the, like like Link was saying that angsty I don’t know what to do with these pronouns stories, as long as we also get this kind of story. And it reminds me of just a shared language. And that something is the queerness is assumed the non binary-ness is assumed. You don’t have to go down the rabbit hole of explaining what that means. And there’s room for both. And I appreciate that we finally have something that’s like, on that other end. There are some shows some mainstream shows getting somewhere in the middle, like, like you said, shameless Grey’s Anatomy has a non binary character that everyone just accepts that they are they them, and, but there’s a moment where they talk about their history of coming out and things like that, but like, this just jumps right into it. And just Jim, is Jim.

Josué Cardona 29:21
Yeah, yeah. I think and I hope, right? It just, it just shows where we are. Right? It’s like, look, the show doesn’t have to explain it to you. society’s going to explain it to you. Like if you don’t get it, like don’t worry, like now, people understand. You can still ask, you know, but that’s like, we don’t we don’t need to that’s, we’re moving. We’re moving forward.

Lara Taylor 29:42
And also if you don’t get it and you don’t like it, the gay pirate show is not for you.

Josué Cardona 29:50
Yeah. And but just in the sense of like, oh, I don’t understand why their pronoun is this or that right? Like if that if that conversation is happening

Lara Taylor 29:59
right, right

Josué Cardona 30:00
I like that. It’s just like, it’s just a matter of fact. And I’ll actually I’ll bring up my father because my father will never listen to this. I’m a, as someone you know, he’s like, Christian, of the homophobic variety. And so I like his favorite movies, his superhero movies, his action films, have gay characters in them have gay relationships have have men kissing men have women kissing women have non binary people. He, I think maybe 10 years ago, he would have like, maybe turn the movie off or complained or said something. And now I know, like we talk about movies. It’s something that we do all the time. Like, he just he doesn’t even bring it up anymore. Right?

Lara Taylor 30:49
It just is.

Josué Cardona 30:50
And he’ll even and he’ll even say like, oh, like, when the girl rescued the girl, right? Or her girlfriend? And I’m like, exactly like, it’s like, he’s, it’s just, it’s a movie and those are people. And it’s just, that’s what happened in the movie. Right? It’s like, it’s no longer like, there’s no judgment. There’s no, there’s no talking about it. It just it is and that feels like progress. Right? Like there’s one example but it’s like, Ah, yes. Because I don’t know if it’s because like, now he doesn’t fight it. You know, he it’s like it’s not worth him fighting it or just like, Oh, I really like that mood or like I did like that character like, Oh, I didn’t realize you know, and this show has just has like, like every character so is great. And if they’re not great spoilers they probably going to die which on its own is also extremely satisfying. Oh, yep. Aw its a Good show. so Good. I’m a Fan.

Link Keller 31:50
Yes.

Josué Cardona 31:51
All right. Next topic.

Link Keller 31:52
It’s so good.

Josué Cardona 31:55
You watching the show again. Right now?

Link Keller 31:57
It on my eyelids constantly rolling? Yeah, I love all the characters. And if we don’t have enough time, for me to gush over every single one, even though I could. But I do want to point out the relationship between Lucius and Pete. Two men, they kiss they have a relationship. Nobody says anything about it. There is a scene where an antagonistic character is like, Oh, I’m gonna out you. And Lucius is like, Oh, honey, Pete. Like I was drawing this other guy naked. And Pete’s like, Haha, cool.

Lara Taylor 32:42
He draws everyone naked

Link Keller 32:44
he’s drawn most of us he’s like very talented. Like I love you, sweet pea, and Lucius says we don’t own each other. And I really love that as low key polyamory representation right there love to see that. They are great. Lucius is very funny. I I love Lucius. Some of my friends find him a little annoying, which I understand. I love Lucius. I think he’s hilarious. There are a handful of like really great. extra characters. Like Spanish Jackie is very funny. Calico Calico Jack. It’s good. It’s got a great cast. But I I guess I want to touch on stede and Ed blackbeard and how their relationship grows over the season and how we find out that both of these men have bad past experiences with their fathers and how it has shaped where they are currently and the choices that they make, and how they were both traumatized by what had happened to them as children. And how being together is in some way healing both of them. And I think that that is so fucking beautiful.

Josué Cardona 34:13
I forgot I forgot I forgot about like, obviously we see flashbacks to both of them when they’re kids. I didn’t make that connection, obviously. Yeah,

Link Keller 34:22
yeah. Yes, Stede is, you know, foppish little lad and his dad is like you’re just a spoiled brat. And you’re never gonna be able to do anything. You’re just a little rich boy. A weak little rich boy. And Ed comes from, you know, stede is upper class and Ed comes from a lower class family and his dad is an alcoholic who on screen beats his wife probably also beat Ed. But Ed Ed kills his dad. And this is a huge turning point in his life, it is what leads him to become Blackbeard, the most feared pirate on the seas. And him connecting with stede and connecting with the softness of stede, both the emotional softness, but also literally, he wears soft clothes, silks and cashmeres. And the way that we get to see Ed open up to the point that his his own crew is like, this is the most emotionally available I’ve ever seen him. And is like, you get to see that and seeing the ways that Ed reinforces stede’s, like slowly growing self esteem about like, yeah, you’re not a great pirate, you’re still like learning the ropes. But like, you can do this, like I believe in you, and how much that empowers stede to continue to grow as a captain and it’s just really lovely.

Josué Cardona 36:07
Their relationship is fantastic from from beginning to end like it like the way it evolves, but also what they mean to each other at the existential crises, right, the things that are relatable, but they’re both at a turning point in their lives. And they’re both I think, I think Stede realizes it, and Ed doesn’t, right? It’s like, like, Stede understands exactly. That. He wants to make a change. Like there’s something like, in the middle of it. And, and I think Ed is way earlier in that like to just like, uhh, something’s not right. Like, I’m just I’m just not into it. I’m just not in it anymore. Right. Like, like, and then oh, wait a what? What? Right. And then by coming together, they kind of like

Lara Taylor 36:57
they’re like, reflection reflections of each other, like looking through a looking glass like, like they complement each other. And yeah, they’re kind of crossing paths and showing each other how to balance in a way.

Link Keller 37:09
in the first conversation that Ed and Stede have together, Ed says, Have you ever felt like you’re just treading water waiting to drown? And Stede just replies with Yes.

Josué Cardona 37:23
Yeah.

Link Keller 37:23
And it’s like both of them were unhappy with where their life was, and needed a change. And they they got to be that for each other and getting to see like, my life can be different. I am capable of change. I am worthy of change. And, oh, it’s so beautiful.

Marc Cuiriz 37:45
I think this is probably going to be the most interesting thing for me to kind of watch. Like, I know you guys are talking about all this and all it all it’s doing is just building my hype for it. I’m probably not sleep now

Josué Cardona 37:56
none of this this happened in the first episode.

Lara Taylor 37:58
You’re gonna watch all the episodes.

Marc Cuiriz 38:00
I’m gonna watch them all probably tonight. I’m probably not going to sleep.

Josué Cardona 38:03
Taika’s not even in the first episode.

Marc Cuiriz 38:05
So So I mean, like, for me.

Link Keller 38:10
He shows up at the end of Episode Three like

Josué Cardona 38:12
oh, okay, yeah. Okay.

Marc Cuiriz 38:15
So so for me, like, with the knowledge that I’m carrying from Assassin’s Creed, which I know isn’t a whole lot of it. But still, like in the game itself, like Stede had already met Blackbeard like Blackbeard dies and Black Flag. So like, it’s towards the end of his career already. And so to see this different take on it of like, No, Stede was already a pirate, and now he’s meeting. Well, like he’s, he’s, he’s out there.

Link Keller 38:45
He’s a fresh new pirate.

Lara Taylor 38:47
a quote unquote pirate

Marc Cuiriz 38:49
Exactly. He’s a pirate because like in the game like he was, he was just a merchant still. And then in high jinks, he ended up getting souped up with Blackbeard. And then towards the end of that then he decides I’m gonna take off and try my hand at pirating. And in now on the show, it’s like no, he was already on that journey of deciding to make that change. And then he comes across blackbeard and then that’s where that relationship comes from. Because from what my understanding was is that he was a part of blackbeards crew for a uh for some time like they they interacted for quite a while before they parted ways and then Blackbeard eventually dies. So like, this is probably the the one thing where like, I’m really interested to see like, how this is playing out and the way you guys are describing it, I’m like, Ooh, Oh, man, like, I’m gonna go

Josué Cardona 39:43
watch the show marc. you sould watch the show.

Link Keller 39:45
Oh my god, they were co captains.

Marc Cuiriz 39:48
Oh, my. And so I, I’m gonna I’m gonna watch this whole thing and then I’m gonna want to replay black flag and I’m just gonna look at this from a completely different lens. I’m like, Huh, I’m seeing some chemistry

Josué Cardona 40:03
is straight washing a word. Like, like,

Link Keller 40:07
yes?

Josué Cardona 40:08
Like they removed all the.

Link Keller 40:11
I mean, that’s a lot of history.

Josué Cardona 40:14
Yes. Yes. But is that is that a term? Like white washing is a is a term that straight washing a term?

Link Keller 40:23
it is now

Lara Taylor 40:24
Sure. Yeah, we’ve coined a couple of terms here. queer feasting and white, straight washing.

Josué Cardona 40:30
Okay, cool.

Marc Cuiriz 40:32
GT exclusives.

Josué Cardona 40:34
Yeah. Okay, what else is on the list?

Link Keller 40:40
Okay, I am going to pivot now to another big aspect of why I am so deeply invested in our flag means death um I have gotten to watch the fandom literally grow around to this show. Like, you know, HBO released the episodes, like the first three, then four five, six, and then seven, eight. and nine ten

Josué Cardona 41:09
That’s where that joke comes from.

Link Keller 41:11
And so the last two episodes I started watching the show before the last two episodes aired. And so aired is not the right word. But anyways, were released, made available. And so I have gotten to watch like the community, just blossom explode. Go crazy. With this. There’s a term within the newly burgeoning fandom called gay pirate brain rot, which is the clinical term for what I have

Lara Taylor 41:47
I’m I’m gonna a petition to put that in the DSM for you.

Link Keller 41:50
Yeah, I mean, it’s, it should be in there. It’s important. But it is a bunch of people who like me, you know, watch this show and then we’re immediately like, I am in love with this show. rewatched it there’s already tons of people doing cosplay. There is I have

Lara Taylor 42:09
the fan art is beautiful.

Link Keller 42:11
Lots of beautiful fan art. I am seeing people you know drawing flash tattoos I am seeing people do embroidery I have seen like I desperately want to get the the different pirate flags as patches to put on my patch jacket. I’ve seen people have already made them in like, oh my like hand sewing their own little flags. Love it. So much artistry loving to see that. It’s for the first time in a long time, I was like, I’m gonna go on archive of our own and see what the fanfiction writers are doing. And I think the first time I checked, there was something like six 700 published pieces under the our flag means death tag. The last time I checked it was like almost 5000 It’s probably way more than that today. I haven’t checked in a while. But this is the closest I have been to writing fanfiction since I was 14-15 years old and obsessed with Harry Potter. It’s a weird feeling to be that invested in something again, like when Game of Thrones started up, I got really into Game of Thrones. And I spent a lot of time on The Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire subreddits. And I would post on there occasionally. But mostly I was just reading it. I have made four tik toks about our flag means death. One, I make tik toks very infrequently, like I don’t think I had made one this year. Until now, all four of those tik toks have gotten more engagement, likes, comments views than anything I’ve ever posted online ever, which is a very weird feeling. But it makes me like I’m very invested in this in this community and getting to see how it is growing and the things that they’re creating and the fan theories and the sort of, you know, general agreement about you know, certain things. You know what, we’ve already committed to spoiling this. In the end of episode 10 or the midpoint of episode 10. Lucius gets pushed overboard, and then you don’t you don’t see him again. And so there is an implication of death. But also it’s TV so if you don’t see a body it’s not they’re not dead and I have just loved

Lara Taylor 42:48
even sometimes if you see a body, they’re not dead.

Link Keller 44:51
I just love that the fan community has completely been like, no, Lucius is alive. Absolutely. And it’s not even become a discussion about that it’s a discussion about like, how is he going to get like, is he hiding in a secret passageway on the ship? Did he, you know, float to an island and he’s gonna get picked up like all of these things. It’s like, if he’s alive is not even. It’s not even an argument point. It’s just like, how are we going to find him? Like, how mad is he gonna be like, I love that so much.

Josué Cardona 45:28
How many theories involve gay Merman?

Lara Taylor 45:33
Not enough, but not zero? So?

Josué Cardona 45:43
Okay,

Link Keller 45:44
but yeah.

Josué Cardona 45:46
This is beautiful. Right? Like, this is this is why we’re talking about it. This is I mean, the stuff we talked about. Usually, it’s like, it resonates with a lot of people, right? Like, when we talk about pop culture, it’s because because these communities form around them, these fandoms come up, people take, it resonates with them, we kind of we feel invested, we take ownership of it, we want to create content around it. Because it, it’s like, it’s so meaningful. And then now we get to be a part of it as well. And we get to share it. And, and it’s it’s a beautiful thing. Especially with something that’s like, you know, it’s a new IP, right? It’s a new IP. It’s hard to, you know, put it that way, right. But it’s like it’s a new show. It’s a new, it’s a new concept. It’s a new world in many ways. Because it’s this version of it. Yeah, I’m, I’m, I’m, I’m so happy. I was gonna, I’m gonna ask this question. And I don’t think that the answer really matters. But maybe maybe it does. Which is Do you feel? Do you feel that this show that you want to rewatch it? Mostly because you love it so much? Or because you needed it so much? Like, like, like, Do you love drinking water? Or were you just really thirsty and you needed water? Right, right. It’s that kind of thing. It might be a combination of both and for some people that might be one or the other. But I’m curious. Your thought on that.

Link Keller 47:29
I was dehydrated and now I am very hydrated

Josué Cardona 47:32
dehydrated

Link Keller 47:35
I mean, I think it’s I think it’s both I think I am enjoying the experience of you know, like when I rewatch shows again, not usually this close together, but I like to rewatch things so that I get to see the little details that I missed the first time catch, you know, lines that are said in earlier episodes that pay off in later episodes that I didn’t even didn’t mean anything the first time catching, like visual goofs, like there are a couple of little things where um they are not historically accurate. I think my favorite is Oluwande wears black crocs. Like those are the shoes that he has. Like I’m like those are crocs you’re wearing crocs on this ship. What! Very funny. You know, I just I have really enjoyed that experience of picking up on little details. But also Yeah, I do think that I I needed something like this I needed this very queer funny, heart wrenching beautiful piece of media and I will riot if they don’t confirm a second season like I’m going to become a pirate and they will not be gentlemanly I will be a mean pirate Oh my gosh.

Lara Taylor 49:04
Link beard will have risen

Marc Cuiriz 49:07
that’d be a terrifying pirate.

Lara Taylor 49:10
Do you think I should like get a green beard to match my hair or?

Josué Cardona 49:14
Yes. yes.

Marc Cuiriz 49:16
Okay, actually no if you if

Josué Cardona 49:18
but we never call you green beard

Marc Cuiriz 49:20
never. but when you get that beard then I’m going to be jealous because I still cannot grow one.

Link Keller 49:28
I mean, I’ve been working on mine for 33 years and still not really coming in. But I’ll keep I’ll keep working on it

Josué Cardona 49:35
I’m honestly still waiting. But if I don’t I also need to be reminded that it’s not it’s not gonna happen.

Marc Cuiriz 49:43
I get reminded every single day.

Josué Cardona 49:45
Yeah, yeah.

Marc Cuiriz 49:47
My dreams of cosplaying as black beard with an authentic black beard is just not happening.

Josué Cardona 49:55
No, no.

Link Keller 49:58
Well, as Jim proves, you can invest in a fake beard, and a lot of people won’t notice.

Marc Cuiriz 50:05
y’know. That is true.

Link Keller 50:07
Stick it on.

Josué Cardona 50:09
You don’t know if that’s true or not, Marc, you haven’t gotten that far in the show

Link Keller 50:12
that’s in the first episode.

Josué Cardona 50:13
Is it in the first episode?

Link Keller 50:14
yup

Josué Cardona 50:14
Really? Well, I mean, I don’t know. I’m first of all, I apologize for being wrong. Second, I apologize for doubting you even for a second. Having established you watched it seven times. I’m, yeah, I I appreciate your answer. And I think great for different people. It’ll be it’ll be different. And I’m glad that both of those answers can be true. Because it is it it just like feels like it’s an HBO show, right? It’s like, it’s, it’s oozing with quality. It’s a Taika joint, right. So it’s a good like, it has all of that. And so it just feels like a good show. You know, that’s subjective, but it’s like, it’s fun. And it’s got a great story and everything, everything about it is just really good. But also like, it’s important. Like it is really, really, yeah. Yeah, like, the last time I watched the show, and immediately started watching it over again, was Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. And it’s just because I thought it was hilarious. There was nothing deep about it at all. There was like no connection. It was just, I just thought it was like so funny. And I wanted to laugh again. Because the jokes like

Link Keller 51:34
it’s got good jokes.

Josué Cardona 51:35
And exactly, it’s got good jokes. I just wanted to watch it again. But that’s a very different feeling than like, when I watched the four Eva movies recently, where that felt like therapy. And at the end, I was like, I think I’m going to start over right now. Because I need I need more of that I need I need to go through that again. Where I would very much like to go through that again. And yeah, so I’m glad to hear, right that like that community is good. Like, right, which is the other part. Today’s like when we’re recording this as May the fourth and it’s like, it’s always sad to hear like about the toxicity in Star Wars fandom, for example. I don’t I don’t see most of that. Luckily, but like, but it happens, right? It’s out there. And yeah, like everything I’ve seen so far. Right? It’s, it’s very much, there’s so much of a celebration around our flag means death. It’s all good. It’s really good.

Link Keller 52:43
there

Josué Cardona 52:43
any other topics on your list?

Link Keller 52:45
Just sort of expanding on that. There was you know, a couple of weeks ago, especially people talking about the community, the fandom community as it is growing, and a lot of people in our age range, talking about how they had been super who lock fans, which is supernatural, Dr. Who and Sherlock, and how those fandom communities were intertwined. And also a lot of the connection that the fans had to that was, frankly, the queerbaiting aspect is there was a lot of people making fanfiction and stuff was to fulfill the queer needs that they weren’t getting from the show from any of the shows. And so there were a lot of comparisons early on where people were like, this is like the new superwholock fandom. And then very quickly, pretty unanimously, a bunch of people were like, actually, this is very different, like we don’t have the same kind of toxicity and because it is explicitly queer. The types of reactions people are having to it are very different than the way that they responded to those other pieces of media. And so I think it’s really cool to see that and also to get to hear from people who were like, you know, I was super obsessed with supernatural and the show queer baited us constantly. And now I’m watching this show, and I’m getting to see the queer representation I always wanted, I’m getting the romance I always wanted, and I’m getting to enjoy it with other people who love it as much as I do and also understand the pain of what I had been through in the previous fandoms I was never a part of that fandom. I didn’t spend any time on Tumblr, but there’s been a lot of discussion about like, how people are like I’m returning to Tumblr for our flag means death stuff like this brought me back. Just I think is funny and lovely. But yeah, it’s

Josué Cardona 54:57
if you found if you found our show, because we still post on Tumblr. Welcome. Glad you found us Ah,

Link Keller 55:13
yeah, great, great show some really solid, funny goofs. I think the one that sticks in my head constantly is in episode three, they go to the Republic of pirates. That’s where they meet up with Spanish Jackie. And they have a British Navy officer who they have hostage and they’re like we’re gonna go sell him at the Republic of pirates and stede gets dressed up in this beautiful all white outfit and he makes Lucius also dress up in this beautiful all white outfit. And he also makes the hostage dress up in his beautiful all white outfit. And they walk in and he goes ‘man for sale! Somebody who wants to buy my booty’ and it is so fucking funny. the rest of the crew is like, Yeah, we’re gonna go and they like peel off immediately. And Lucius is like, I think your sales pitch needs a little bit of work because it is unclear as to what you’re selling. And Stede’s like, No, you’re so silly. Everybody knows what I’m talking about. Man for sale. I love that part. So much. It makes me laugh every time

Josué Cardona 56:37
one of the things that I find funny is is that is how Lucius is like, doesn’t have time to like, deal with the BS. But the moment somebody needs a therapist, Lucius shows up. Oh, like, you know, the caretaker, you know, thing. And then like, jump in the support and the wisdom and there’s something about the way that the those scenes play out when they happen, that art are simultaneously funny and like, touching and like, it’s one of my favorite things about the show. There’s a lot. There’s a lot of good jokes in the show. But it’s I mean, it’s really good. So, to recap, if you’re listening, you haven’t watched the show like Marc, right, we’re talking about right queer representation we’re talking about right now, like, this is this is a good study for like, how do fandoms grow and why. right, like early on, it’s a good look at that. The existential, you know, midlife crisis, stuff of like, what am I doing with my life? And I’m unhappy, and can I be happy? And what would that look like? And, and showing a world that is? I don’t know, it’s a lot of fun, but accepting of many things, right? It’s like, in many ways, it’s it’s in the past, but it’s so much. I, it’s, it’s more progressive than now. But I mean, I think I think throughout history, we’ve, it’s ebbed and flowed, I think, you know, and, and so, yeah, so like, all of those issues, are there. trauma from from, you know, from parental abuse, and just all that stuff. It’s just, it’s just good. It’s just good. It’s got a lot of good stuff. It’s got a lot of good stuff. That library is gonna be good alright, any final thoughts? Not for Marc because

Link Keller 58:33
Marc can have a final thought. don’t you cut him off

Josué Cardona 58:36
Marc, I’m sorry. Do you

Josué Cardona 58:38
if you have a thought you should share it? If not, that’s okay, too.

Marc Cuiriz 58:42
my final thought is next time I’ll be sure to watch the whole the watch the whole series or show or movie before coming on this show

Lara Taylor 58:50
or at least more than one episode.

Josué Cardona 58:53
So so

Marc Cuiriz 58:53
put in more effort for next time so I’m not just absolutely blasted and roasted by Josué

Josué Cardona 58:58
I’m giving you a hard time but it’s a good moment to to remind everybody that it is impossible to watch every episode read every issue, watch every movie. And and you know, it was it’s great that three of us watched it, you know that the whole thing Marc did see part of it? I think, you know, when we’re working with clients when we’re talking to friends, it’s like just the fact that you’re here that you’re interested that you’re you’re connecting it to Assassin’s Creed, which might seem super random, but it’s like, just as much, probably not just as much as Link is into our flag means death right now. Like, you you love Assassin’s Creed so much it’s so important to you. Right? That that making that connection, I think is super meaningful and and and appreciated. Right? And it’s a good example of like, Hey, I don’t know exactly, but I know that character and like I can you’re making connections and that’s that’s beautiful. And that’s a great modeling of, of a way that we can we can understand each other and make connections even if we’re not completely, you know, watching a show seven times. Actually, what’s the most you’ve played an Assassin’s Creed game?

Marc Cuiriz 1:00:09
I have played through Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood. I want to say 14 times as 100% completed it 10 times.

Josué Cardona 1:00:17
Yeah. When I when I said when I said not as much as Link. Like I immediately I was like, that’s probably wrong. Like as as impressive as as as link’s. I mean, it’s seven. So far

Link Keller 1:00:28
I was, I was gonna say if you average out the views, everybody’s seen it like 2.2 and a half times. So you’re fine, Marc, don’t even worry about it.

Josué Cardona 1:00:41
I mean, when we did the when we’re doing the Assassin’s Creed podcast episodes, there were times when like I had to watch, I would bring this up on the show where I would watch the, like a playthrough. Because because I didn’t have 40 hours to play each game, right? You had played them all the way through, you were very knowledgeable in them. And so sometimes, you know, you got to either read a Wikipedia article or watch a YouTube recap

Lara Taylor 1:01:05
you can’t watch everything, you can’t play everything.

Josué Cardona 1:01:07
Or you listen to an episode of GT radio where we talk about it, you know, and we give you the will give you the insights. So yeah no that that’s absolutely very important to always point out, and I’m just giving marc a hard time because that’s the mood I’m in today.

Marc Cuiriz 1:01:23
And honestly, I’m here for it.

Josué Cardona 1:01:25
I know. I know. I know. Sorry. Yeah. Lara, closing thoughts.

Lara Taylor 1:01:32
umm closing thoughts. I think that I just want to see more of these characters. I want more it left. Like Link you say, you’re no longer thirsty, right? Yeah,

Link Keller 1:01:46
I’m still a lil thirsty.

Lara Taylor 1:01:48
Yeah.

Link Keller 1:01:50
Yeah, I wanted to ask, did you watch it with Nina?

Lara Taylor 1:01:55
Yes,

Link Keller 1:01:55
did she did. She also enjoy it?

Lara Taylor 1:01:57
Oh, she really enjoyed it.

Link Keller 1:01:58
I’m so happy.

Lara Taylor 1:01:59
She loved it. Yeah, yeah. She was laughing I think more than I do. But I think for the most part with these kinds of things. My laughter was more on the inside and I just do a little huh That was funny. But there was some there was a lot of laughter in our house. It was good.

Link Keller 1:02:16
My noses!!

Josué Cardona 1:02:21
alright Link, closing thoughts.

Link Keller 1:02:23
I am deeply in love with this show. I am going to continue my seventh rewatch and probably several more after that because at this point it has become like if I and I get choice paralysis on what to watch in the evenings fairly regularly and now my brains like you don’t have

Lara Taylor 1:02:44

Link Keller 1:02:44
don’t don’t waffle about what show to watch just just put on our flag means death again, like I have my when I open a new tab on Firefox and it has the like frequently gone to pages. It’s not just HBO landing page. It is specifically our flag means death landing page. Uh huh. Very funny to me. If if you have access to HBO Max, I highly recommend that you watch the show. I think it is worth it. The there are 10 episodes. The episodes are about half an hour each. It is not super long time investment. But it’s fantastic. It’s funny. It’s sweet. It’s heartbreaking. It’s heart healing.

Lara Taylor 1:03:36
Yeah, No one warned me that I was going to be heartbroken by the end

Link Keller 1:03:39
I uh I apologize. It is. A little a little sad at the end. But perfect setup for a season two!! And the soundtrack is a banger. So like hits upon hits upon hits, like I love it. And people in our social media spaces like if you want if you want to talk about it with me, please do.

Josué Cardona 1:04:10
It’s really good. It’s really good. Please join us and tell us what you thought of the show after you watch it or ask questions about it in any of our community spaces. For more Geek Therapy, visit geek therapy.org remember to geek out on the good we’ll be back next week.

Link Keller 1:04:31
mbyyyyyeeee

Josué Cardona 1:04:31
Geek Therapy is a 501 C three nonprofit organization dedicated to making the world a better place through geek culture. To learn more about our mission and become a supporter, visit geek therapy.org

Transcribed by https://otter.ai

Characters / Media
  • Stede Bonnet / Our Flag Means Death
  • Blackbeard / Edward Teach / Our Flag Means Death
  • Jim / Our Flag Means Death
  • Oluwande / Our Flag Means Death
  • Lucius / Our Flag Means Death
  • Black Pete / Our Flag Means Death
  • Russian Doll
  • What We Do in the Shadows
  • Over the Garden Wall
  • Assassin’s Creed: Black Flag
  • Heartstopper
  • Grace and Frankie
  • The Office
  • Korg / Thor: Ragnarok
  • Ian Gallagher / Shameless
  • Kai Bartley / Grey’s Anatomy
  • Harry Potter
  • Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire
  • Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion films
  • SuperWhoLock / Supernatural / Dr. Who / Sherlock
  • Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood

Themes / Topics

Conversation Topics:

* Change
* Midlife crisis
* Finding Oneself/Identity Development
* Leadership
* LGBT Issues
* Love
* Found Family
* Non-Binary Representation
* The Revenge

Relatable Experience:

* Abuse
* Fandom
* New Obsession
* Blended Family
* Breakup
* Queerbaiting
* Coming of age/Getting older
* Loss (other than death)
* Trauma

Questions? Comments? Discuss this episode on the GT Forum.

Links / Social Media

Check out the GT Network: network.geektherapy.com

GT Forum: forum.geektherapy.org

GT Discord: geektherapy.com/discord

GT Facebook Group: facebook.com/groups/geektherapy

Find us at www.GeekTherapy.org | @GeekTherapy | Lara: @GeekTherapist | Link: @CHICKENDINOSAUR | Josué: @JosueACardona

Ask us anything through the Question Queue and we’ll answer on the show: geektherapy.org/qq