TTRPG Introductions and Links

Hello everyone!

My name is Adam Johns, and I’m one of the executive directors of Game to Grow. I’m excited to be connecting with others in this brand new GT Forum! I thought it would be a good idea to start getting introductions and, if possible, links to websites. In this case, if anyone is doing work with applied Tabletop Role-Playing Games (TTRPGs), I want to hear about it!

Here are my questions, and then I’ll go first in a second post!

• Who are you?
  • What location or area do you practice/facilitate/GM in?
  • In what way, or with what audiences, do you apply TTRPGs?
  • How long have you been using TTRPGs in this applied way?
  • What TTRPG games or systems do you use in your application?
  • Do you have a website or way to contact to have referrals sent your way? (We’re always looking for referrals for services in different places)

If there are any other good questions, feel free to propose them as well!

-Adam J

1 Like
  • Who are you?
    Adam Johns, MA, LMFT. I am one of the two Adams and one of the executive directors of Game to Grow, a 501(c)(3) nonporfit dedicated to the use of games of all kinds for therapeutic, educational, and community growth.

• What location or area do you practice/facilitate/GM in?
    The greater Seattle area. We run groups in three different locations.

• In what way, or with what audiences, do you apply TTRPGs?
    We run five D&D groups each week with kids and teens focused on social skill development. We see a lot of autism spectrum challenges, ADHD, anxiety, and depression. TTRPGs provide an amazing space to practice social skills without feeling the same level of risk or personal rejection that can come along with socializing.

• How long have you been using TTRPGs in this applied way?
    Adam Davis and I have been using D&D for social skill development since 2011. In 2013 we started our own business called Wheelhouse Workshop, and then in 2017 we decided to expand into nonprofit and helped found Game to Grow.

• What TTRPG games or systems do you use in your application?
    We mostly use Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition. We have used No Thank You Evil and a little bit of FATE Accelerated. We have, also, used a lot of other tabletop board and card games in our groups, but I’ll have to set up another thread to discuss those.

• Do you have a website or way to contact to have referrals sent your way? (We’re always looking for referrals for services in different places)
    www.gametogrow.org is the best place to find us. You can also feel free to email myself and Adam Davis using the contact at gametogrow.org email address.

I look forward to hearing from everyone else and making this a welcoming an open community!

-Adam J

1 Like

Hey Adam, I just found this old post and I am also interested in this area! I sent you an email but figured I would say hello here too!