Title: The Fifth Season
Series Identifier: First book in the Broken Earth Trilogy
- Cultural representation
- Difficult emotions
- Feeling alone
- Finding Oneself/Identity Development
- LGBT Issues
- Making new friends
- Strong female role models
- Sacrifice for others
- Working with others
- Coming of age/Getting older
- Loss (other than death)
- New Life Event (New Rules)
- Book has wonderful lgbtq+ representation (trans character, poly relationships, fluid sexuality, etc) without it being the main plot, it fits in seamlessly (same with race and racial differences).
- Main character is what is called an orogene which are people who can control seismic activity and earth, and is an oppressed group.
- Story follows her through a major seismic event, death of her son when her husband finds out he is also an orogene, as well as her past experiences.
- [Share a real experience about using this content, with clients/students, or how it helped you or someone you know.]
- [List questions that can help to reflect on this content.]
Link to Content: https://nkjemisin.com/writing/the-fifth-season/