EISNER-AWARD WINNING THE SILVER COIN CREATOR MICHAEL WALSH LAUNCHES CYBERPUNK SERIES NULLHUNTER IN OCTOBER

Originally published at: https://geektherapy.org/eisner-award-winning-the-silver-coin-creator-michael-walsh-launches-cyberpunk-series-nullhunter-in-october/

Author: Newsroom

PORTLAND, Ore. 07/19/2024 —Michael Walsh, the Eisner Award-winning creator of The Silver Coin, as well as upcoming Skybound miniseries Universal Monsters: Frankenstein and The Horizon Experiment: The Sacred Damned, is setting out on an epic quest with rising star artist Gustaffo Vargas (Marvel’s Voices X-Men) to create new sci-fi series Nullhunter, a neon-infused cyberpunk retelling of the Labors of Hercules set amongst the stars. This reimagining of classic Greek mythology, that interplays ’80s-inspired dystopian storytelling and art in the same vein as fan-favorites like Ronin and Blade Runner, will set sail when issue #1 hits shelves in October.

In Nullhunter, Clay is a war hero who faces unspeakable tragedy after returning home. Seeking justice, he’s forced into service for his estranged father’s powerful company, OLYMP0S. His first mission takes him to faraway N3M-3A on the trail of a hijacked shipment of war lions. In seeking exoneration, this quest of twelve near-impossible labors will lead Clay to the very edges of space as he discovers the true source of evil in the cosmos.

“When I was a kid, I was obsessed with Greco-Roman mythology. I’d spend hours pouring over old mythology books that I’d rented from the library while drawing my own versions of Hercules, Zeus, Poseidon, and all the larger-than-life gods and monsters. For a long time, I’ve wanted to take a crack at making a Hercules comic, but I could never find a unique and original way in,” said Walsh.

Continued Walsh: “I first conceived of Nullhunter while I was working on The Silver Coin and had originally planned to draw it myself after that series had wrapped. When The Silver Coin performed exceedingly well and shifted into ongoing status, the long and arduous hunt for an artist for Nullhunter began. When I first saw Gustaffo’s art I knew he’d be the perfect artist for this comic. His Peruvian Cyberpunk series is chock-filled with incredible designs, kinetic action sequences, and deft character work. All the things that I knew would make this comic book sing. I’m so excited to introduce the world to these classic stories in a whole new light.”   

“When Michael told me his idea about making a cyberpunk saga of Hercules in space, my brain got loaded with tons of ideas, and I couldn’t wait to start building this world,” said Vargas. “I do my best work when I’m inspired and challenged, and this is exactly what I get from Michael and the team. Nullhunter is my best work to date, and I think readers will be able to enjoy this visual feast and powerful story.”

Nullhunter #1 will be available at comic book shops on Wednesday, October 23:

• Cover A by Michael Walsh – Lunar Code 0824IM303
  • Cover B by Christian Ward – Lunar Code 0824IM304
  • Cover C by Gustaffo Vargas – Lunar Code 0824IM304
  • Cover D (1:20) by Adam Gorham – Lunar Code 0824IM306

Nullhunter #1 will also be available across many digital platforms, including Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, and Google Play.